An act of service To the editor: In response to one of last week's staff editorials (" Bring out the students," The Daily Pennsylvanian, 1/22/03), I would like to mention that the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday was adopted in 1994 as a "service act," not specifically as a day to "draw a crowd." Coretta Scott King said, "The greatest birthday gift my husband could receive is if people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds celebrated the holiday by performing individual acts of kindness through service to others. Remember, it's not a day off -- it's a day on." We have student members on our executive planning committee and on program subcommittees and always welcome new representation. This year, the symposium has over 30 events including lectures and discussions that, in fact, do feature notable faculty members and outside speakers like politicians and minority activists. We realize that there are many injustices in today's society that must be addressed. We planned this year's symposium to allow for discussions about these intolerable injustices and to promote community empowerment, which encourages change in our existing state through the appropriate affirmation of King's honorable legacy. Unfortunately, some students do not understand King's views on justice, peace, service or civil discourse. It is difficult to imagine that he would support the observance of this day in an idle manner or support the use of this day as an opportunity for personal attacks against those with whom we disagree. Our Interfaith Program keynote speaker, Dorothy Cotton, said King believed "the end we seek is pre-existent in the means we use." We are pleased that Penn students would like to participate inprograms and service projects on the King holiday. We appreciate the feedback and will continue to re-evaluate the way we plan and publicize our MLK Day activities. Thank you to the students, faculty and staff who did provide service to others that day. Your support makes all the difference. Machamma Quinichett Associate director African American Resource Center The writer is the chairwoman of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day executive planning committee. An honorable decision To the editor: One wonders exactly what Dan Fishback is saying in his column (" Reparations, military style," DP, 1/27/03). The only idea I am really sure he expresses is his unabashed disrespect for the military that protects his freedom to publish this screed. He puts forth the distorted argument that there is an "unofficial economic draft" going on, while ignoring the fact that there are distinct advantages to military service for lower income individuals, namely obtaining educational scholarships and doing something active to display love for one's country. His final suggestion to institute a draft for "wealthy heterosexual white males who support a war in Iraq" is beyond offensive, even if his suggestion is tinged with irony. Fishback's column attacks the United States military and those who currently serve within it, as well as patriotic gay men and women who honorably fight for this country. If Dan Fishback does not wish to consider military service, or even the benefits attached to it, he should admit that he feels this way because of his inherent condemnation of anything related to the use of military force by the United States -- and not because he is gay. Robert Steinman College '03 Point of clarification To the editor: Blacklights? Are those really back? (" Unionization: The people behind the debate," DP, 1/28/03). Actually, rather than "paying for diapers and formula," we use cloth diapers (eco-friendly and cheaper, too) and breastfeed. And even were finances not a consideration, I would still breastfeed. Breast is best! I suspect that in common with many grad parents, instead of beer and lamps that make your teeth glow, we spend our small surplus on food, books and electricity. But poor and happy is not so bad. Slightly less poor and unionized would be even better. Francesca Amendolia