[Ben Rosenau/DP File Photo]

Penn junior Matt Haefner is a born intimidator on the soccer field.

"He's a huge beast," Penn junior Robb Jankura said. "He makes people scared to shoot."

And at six-foot-four with the wingspan of a 747, he couldn't be better suited to be the starting goaltender for the Penn men's soccer team.

But at this time last season, Haefner -- who played in only one game in 2000, recording a single save -- was slotted behind senior goaltender Jeff Groeber and few expected him to be more than a serviceable backup.

How quickly things change.

Groeber dropped out of the starting lineup due to a knee injury sustained in the preseason, thrusting the inexperienced Haefner into a starting role.

Though the learning curve was steep, Haefner took full advantage of his opportunity. He had a breakout season, playing in all 15 games and recording 76 saves.

His teammates may have felt uneasy seeing him in the net early last season, but now he is regarded as a dominant presence in the goal.

"He was thrown into a very difficult situation," Penn head coach Rudy Fuller said. "But he got sharper with each game, and he's still developing."

In addition to winning the respect of his coach and teammates last season, Haefner earned the team's Most Improved Player award and a Philadelphia Soccer 7 All-Star selection.

While others may be shocked at the rapidity of his progress, Haefner -- backed by a strong mental game -- was confident from the start.

"You have to have that image in your head," Haefner said. "You have to picture yourself making the save."

Haefner's development may have also been spurred by a major purchase last season -- contact lenses. When his vision was corrected, teammates noticed a rapid change.

"He was half-blind playing goalie," Jankura said. "With contacts his game improved a lot."

Haefner's game has come a long way since he playing competitively as a 10-year-old on a club team in Amherst, N.Y.

"I started playing to hang out with my friends," Haefner said. "I didn't know where it would take me."

In high school, Haefner saw just how far his hobby could take him. He was the captain of his varsity team, and he won the team MVP award both junior and senior years.

At the same time, Haefner also enjoyed success at the club level with a dominant Lancaster United team that won three state championships.

"There were so many good kids on that team," Haefner said. "And we were a tight-knit group."

He thinks that like his old club team, this year's Quakers could be a force with which to be reckoned.

"This is the best Penn team I've seen on paper," Haefner said. "I feel that it could also go the farthest."

He also expects more from himself this season and warns opponents that he is quicker and more athletic than his bulky frame suggests.

"I'm going try and dominate my box," Haefner said, "I'm definitely not slow if anyone is thinking that."

His soccer skills aside, Fuller also will be looking for his now entrenched starter to the set the tone as a team leader this season.

Although the Quakers proved themselves in the preseason last year, they failed to capitalize on their talent during league play, ending the 2001 campaign with only two wins against Ivy opponents.

Fuller is determined to change that record and recognizes that much of the motivation will have to come from the backfield. Fuller is confident that Haefner can handle the responsibility.

"He's a hard working goalkeeper," Fuller said. "At this point, he leads by example."

And the Quakers have been following the towering goalkeeper's lead. Teammates admire his goalkeeping skills, for sure, but they have another reason to stay in line.

Haefner is well above six-feet and by his teammates' estimation, weighing in at a solid 210 pounds.

"The guys already look up to him," Jankura said. "Literally and figuratively."