Rookie athletes aren't the only ones wandering through the halls of Hutchison Gymnasium right now.

Due to the plethora of hirings that took place within Penn's athletic department, a new group of coaches are also finding their way around.

Two Penn squads will have a new face at the helm at the beginning of their respective seasons.

Gwen Harris was appointed the head coach of the Penn women's track team over the summer. Harris comes to Penn after spending 17 years as the head coach at James Madison University.

Penn has been in search of a new women's track coach since the abrupt announcement of Betty Costanza's retirement in January. Costanza, who served as the women's track coach for 25 years, was also one of the founders of the program.

Harris will look to reshape the program after a streak of mediocre seasons.

The Penn men's lacrosse team will also be without its leader from last season. Matt Hogan, who came to Penn just one year ago, announced his resignation in early August. Hogan cited overcommittment and family issues as his primary reasons for leaving Penn. His squad, as well as the Penn community, were shocked at his decision, especially after such a productive first season.

His replacement, Brian Voelker, comes to Penn after having served as both head and assistant coach of the Baltimore Bayhawks of Major League Lacrosse. Voelker has also coached at Johns Hopkins university and Princeton University, where he worked under lacrosse-legend Bill Tierney.

Voelker is the 24th coach in Penn history.

Voelker is not the only addition to the lacrosse coaching staff. Todd Cavallaro, a former teammate of Voelker's at Johns Hopkins, was hired as an assistant coach. For the past two seasons, Cavallaro has served as the top assistant coach at North Carolina.

The Penn women's lacrosse team has also added a new member to its coaching staff. Julia Shaner comes to Penn from another Ivy League institution -- Princeton.

Shaner played for the Tigers from 1998-2001 and will attempt to reorganize and revamp the Quakers' offensive strategies. Shaner also played varsity soccer at Princeton.

The Penn women's soccer team, which claimed its first-ever Ivy League title last season, will look to maintain that standing with the help of Ashley Halter, a new assistant coach.

Halter, who comes to Penn from the University of Tennessee, served as an assistant there after graduating from Florida State, where she was a four-year letterwinner.

On the court, Penn will also have a few new additions.

Following the resignation of volunteer assistant John Krikorian from the men's basketball coaching staff, Paul Romanczuk will step in and attempt to fill the role. Romanczuk take over Krikorian's reponsibilities, including underclassman recruiting, scouting, film analysis and scheduling.

Krikorian left Penn after two seasons to take on an assistant coaching position at Lafayette.

The Penn women's basketball team hired Erin Ladley as an assistant coach in early August. Ladley, who played basketball for Penn from 1998-2001, returns to the program to help with the development of guards and to assist with the recruiting process.

Ladley returns from abroad, after having played for the Doncaster Panthers in Doncaster, England for the 2001-2002 season.