With the momentum from last year's Ivy League title still at its heels, the Penn volleyball team is expecting an even more successful season in 2002.

Last year's championship -- the first one for Penn in over 10 years -- came with one caveat: the Quakers (18-7, 11-3 Ivy League in 2001) had to share the Ivy title with Brown.

This season, Penn wants to be the only team at the top of the standings.

"This year our goal is to win the Ivy League Championship outright," Penn fifth-year coach Kerry Carr (formerly Major) said. "That's a huge difference from tying."

With the combination of veteran players like Stacey Carter and Meghan Schloat and the talent of the new freshmen recruits, the Red and Blue have the ability and the determination to achieve their goal.

The squad welcomes six freshmen this year to fill the void left by the three graduated seniors. The recruits include Michelle Kauffman, a 2001 Paul Mitchell High School and StudentSports.com All-American, who was also featured in the April issue of Volleyball magazine. In addition, Kauffman was named as one of the top 50 high school volleyball players.

Other additions to the team include Ashley Smith and Cara Thomason. Both will contend for the outside hitter position and expected to make an immediate impact on the team.

"The other freshmen haven't been tested yet," Carr said. "But tournaments are for seeing people in many different positions."

This weekend's Georgetown Invitational tournament should provide ample opportunity. In Penn's first event of the year it will face Georgetown, Valparaiso and Long Island University.

"These are three levels of teams, in my mind, so we can find out where we stand," Carr said. "They'll really explore our weaknesses right away, because they're good teams."

The Quakers have never beaten Georgetown, which is ranked No. 1 in the Big East this year. They have yet to face Valparaiso and defeated LIU two years ago.

Beating Georgetown is the team's primary goal.

"It's gonna be tough, if we'd had another week we'd probably beat them," Carr said. "So instead we just need to jump on them."

Due to Ivy League rules, Penn was not allowed to begin practicing until weeks after most other schools. The teams the Quakers will face this weekend have already played around 10 matches each.

In these early-season games the team will have to rely on the experience and leadership of players like two-year captain Stacy Carter.

"What sets [Carter] apart is her way of managing to find a place to put the ball away. She sees the court well," Carr said. "She's been a leader since day one."

Other returning players to watch include Lauren Carter (no relation) who shares right-hitter duties with Stacey Carter. Meghan Schloat will also be back this year as the only trained and recruited setter.

"Meg is a natural leader, she's the quarterback of the team when she's out there," Carr said.

Elisabeth Kwak-Hefferan will also be returning for her third season as outside hitter.

The squad faces yet another rule change this year, as a libero position has been added. This player -- who will serve mainly as a defensive specialist -- wears a different jersey and can be subbed anytime the play is dead.

With a strong team returning and a host of new additions, Penn is on a mission to retain its Ivy title.

It is a crown the Quakers will not cede lightly.

"We may be behind, sore and tired," Carr said. "But we're never going to stop fighting."

Season Preview Home venue: The Palestra Last year: 11-3 Ivy League Key returning starters: Stacy Carter, Lauren Carter, Meghan Schloat Key match: Brown, Nov.15 The Quakers finished tied for the Ivy title last season with the Bears after the teams split their two regular season meetings. Player to Watch

Elizabeth Kwak-Hefferan

Kwak-Hefferan returns to Penn for her junior season. Last year, she received first-team All-Ivy honors and was named to the Academic All-Ivy team.