Spring Fling. Those wonderful two (or three or four) days toward the end of spring semester when Penn students, rather than preparing for final exams that are only days away, throw a big campus-wide party and forget about the stress and difficulty of the previous few months and the coming few weeks.

From food and music in the Quad to the carnival and free cheesesteaks on Wynn Commons to the George Clinton concert tonight on Hill Field, Fling offers students a much-needed respite in the form a wide variety of activities. And for many of you, the festivities have already begun.

Of course, the activity on the minds of most students, regardless of which side of this date in 1981 they were born on, is drinking.

Make no mistake about it -- alcohol will flow freely this weekend, in spite of the University's and Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board's best efforts to prevent those on the wrong side of that magic day from partaking in the libations. It is also probably inevitable that some students will drink too much, endangering themselves and those around them.

Nobody, not Penn administrators, not the police and not the LCB, is under the impression that their efforts will eliminate underage and unsafe drinking. As such, the key is not to stop all illegal activities this weekend, but to make sure that students enjoy themselves as safely as possible.

But the onus of safety is not only on the authorities -- it is on the students as well. We urge you to have a great time this weekend, but at the same time, we urge you to enjoy the party responsibly.

If you plan on drinking this weekend, do so with a measure of caution and moderation. If you see someone who needs help, get them that help. Nobody wants to see the celebration marred by a tragedy.

Have a safe and happy Fling.