With just 13 weeks until the May 21 primaries, Pennsylvania's gubernatorial candidates are preparing for a heated election.

The two Democratic candidates for the post -- Auditor General Bob Casey and former Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell -- are facing off in what is proving to be a highly contentious race. Republican Mike Fisher and Green Party candidate Michael Morril both face no opposition within their own parties as they prepare for the November election.

In the Democratic race, Rendell holds a slight edge over Casey in campaign fundraising thus far, having raised $10.7 million.

Casey has raised $9.5 million to date.

Casey, however, holds the endorsements of the State Democratic Party and the AFL/CIO, among others. He was also endorsed by the Philadelphia Firefighters Union yesterday.

Rendell's campaign did receive a boost with recent endorsements from the Million Mom March and the Brady Campaign -- two groups seeking to end gun violence -- as well as state representative P.J.Rooney, who is also the State Democratic Committee vice chairman.

Officials for Rendell's campaign maintain that his mayoral experience will give him an edge over his opponent.

"Every day, we're picking up a little more momentum," campaign spokesman Dan Fee said. "The clear difference for people is the experience. Bob has his father's good name, and that's it. Experience matters."

Despite Rendell's claims, Casey contends that his opponent's experience merely provides more support for his own bid for office.

"If you look at Rendell's record [as Philadelphia Mayor]... from the time he took office to the time he left, fewer people lived in Philadelphia, he left the school system in shambles," said Troy Colbert, spokesman for the Casey campaign. "We're more than willing to discuss Rendell's record in Philadelphia."

Fisher, the only Republican candidate left in the election after the withdrawl of State Treasurer Barbara Hafer last month, will receive the endorsement of the State Republican Party this weekend. According to party officials, the Pennsylvania GOP is looking forward to the opportunity to focus on one candidate this early in the election.

"I think [Fisher's campaign] is doing excellently," said Dan Hayward, deputy political director for the State Republican Party. "The Republican Party is unified more than ever before. With 13 weeks before the May primaries, the Democrats are tearing each other apart and tearing down Pennsylvania and all that the Ridge administration has done. They're tearing down Pennsylvania to build themselves up."

The state's Democrats, however, see the fierce competition between Casey and Rendell as a strong point in their party's race for the governor's mansion.

"The Democratic Party is enhanced by showcasing a tremendous level of talent exhibited by both candidates. In fact, we're blessed with two candidates who are superior to Mike Fisher," party spokeswoman Mia DeVane said. "The party's not afraid of competition of values. We feel the process will make a stronger party."

Like Fisher, Green Party candidate Michael Morril faces no contention within his party. Former presidential candidate Ralph Nader made a visit to Philadelphia late last week to offer his endorsement of Morril.

"At this point, people are starting to realize that we're running to win, that we plan to be treated as an equal with the other candidates and that we should be considered along with them as a viable candidate," said State Green Party chairman Eric Prindle.

Morrill, however, was not invited to participate in the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association's gubernatorial debate, which was held last week.

In response to this decision by the association, Morril received "thousands of e-mails and letters," according to Campaign Coordinator Dan Kinney.

Those candidates participating in the debate were optimistic about their campaigns.

"We talked about the issues that the people in Pennsylvania want to talk about," Colbert said. "Bob Casey outlined a very bold agenda for health care and education and what working families care about. It was a home run."

Rendell's campaign was equally positive about his performance.

"We did fantastically" in the debates, Fee said. "It showed that Bob is just not ready."

Republicans, however, maintain that this division between the Democrats will result in a GOP victory.

The Democratic Primary "will be the nastiest and most divisive primary in recent history, if not in all of Pennsylvania history," Hayward said.