Penn point guard Andrew Toole made his return to the Quakers lineup on Monday night against FIU. [Stefan Mitchev/DP File Photo]

For basketball fans, this is when the real fun begins.

The bulk of the preseason is over. Penn is 9-3 with big wins against Georgia Tech, Villanova and Temple.

But unfortunately, this means nothing to the Quakers now.

Penn kicks off its Ivy League season this weekend against Dartmouth and Harvard.

Sure, they're weaker opponents with less clout. They aren't ranked nationally, and their preseason schedule doesn't include any big names.

But these games are just as important because all accolades aside, Penn has to win.

Luckily the Red and Blue will enter this game with their most promising lineup. This includes recently rehabilitated point guard Andrew Toole.

Toole could arguably become the deciding factor in Penn's performance this season.

The statistics tell the whole story. Toole, with the help of forwards Ugonna Onyekwe and Koko Archibong, is the commander of the Quakers.

Toole is averaging 13.5 points per game. Despite missing four of the Penn's non-league contests, he still ranks third in total points scored on the season and dished 26 assists.

The Red and Blue have only lost one game with Toole in the lineup -- and that was to Frank Williams and Illinois, a game that Penn led by double digits in the first half.

The point? With Toole, an Ivy League Championship is possible. Without him, the stability of the team is questionable.

The irony of the situation is Toole's lack of experience in the Ivy League. This is his first season competing against Ancient Eight foes after transferring from Elon College two years ago and then sitting out the requisite transfer year.

At Elon College his stats were just as impressive.

Toole averaged 14.6 points per game and was the leading scorer on the team in the 1999-00 season. He led the Big South conference in free-throw shooting, dropping 84 of 99 shots from the line. He also contributed an average of 2.96 assists and 1.71 steals per game.

But Toole transferred from Elon to join a team with more talent and promise.

Though Elon College is currently in first place in the Big South conference -- a league in which all teams have a sub-.500 record -- it hasn't fared so well against non-conference competitors.

Elon is 7-8, with losses to teams like Birmingham Southern, UNC Greensboro and a 44-point defeat by Ball State.

Leaving Elon, Toole wanted a shot at the NCAA tournament after watching Penn complete an undefeated Ivy season in 2000.

And now, his chance is here.

Barring any further injuries, Toole and the Quakers are set to dominate the Ivy League, if their early season success is a valid predictor for Ancient Eight performance.

And if an NCAA berth is in their future, the Quakers also have the personnel to make some noise in the tourney, with Archibong and Onyekwe causing matchup nightmares in the post and a steady-handed Toole at the point.

The stage is set. It's Toole's chance to shine.