The 125-year story of women at Penn is much like the legacy of the University itself: always innovating.

Like its storied founder, Benjamin Franklin, Penn has triumphed over the years by introducing new ways of thinking and new ways of approaching society's greatest challenges. And so, the University -- the nation's first -- claims the world's first medical school, business school and a number of other pioneering feats in the world of academia.

Those are the most well-known accomplishments. But over Penn's 261-year history, perhaps no breakthrough is as significant as the University's historic and emphatic embrace of women.

Consider, first, the many Penn women over the years who have achieved great things here in West Philadelphia, and then projected their talents into the world at large. From the first two trailblazing students -- Gertrude Klein Peirce Easby and Anna Lockhart Flanigen -- to the present-day crop of women like University President Judith Rodin and NBC Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Andrea Mitchell, Penn alumane have achieved unprecedented success in virtually all fields.

Consider, next, just how remarkable this 125th anniversary celebration actually is, especially when compared to Penn's peer institutions. Women weren't allowed into Harvard University classrooms, for example, until 1943. And at Princeton University, they weren't admitted as undergraduates until 1969.

This weekend's celebration, then, is a testament to the remarkable achievements of Penn's alumnae, and to the innovative legacy of the University itself.

Of course, there is still much to be done -- both here at the University, and in broader society -- to further the promise of women. Hopefully, this weekend will also serve to set a tone for further generations of achievement, success and, of course, innovation.