[Sara Green/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

A year ago I was sitting on the porch of a hotel room in the Canary Islands.

I had just gone for a walk on the beach with a friend, and made the decision to do one of the most important things in my life -- run for executive editor of The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Looking back, I knew that it would not be a easy task. I expected to encounter obstacles and, at the same time, I hoped to find some success along the way.

My first experience, a week into my tenure, was a meeting I had with the directors of many of Penn's campus resource centers. They wanted to explain their thoughts on a column that appeared on our editorial page. I went to the meeting with a blank pad of paper and listened. They explained their opinions on different facets of the DP's coverage, and I was thankful for their candor.

A while later, I met with many of Penn's top administrators and listened to their thoughts about our pages. I did the same with student leaders, and came away with the desire to continue the DP's tradition of providing the news that students want and need to hear.

On Sept. 11, I watched our campus come together in a way I had never seen before. And I watched my colleagues publish some of the finest newspaper editions that this 118-year-old organization has ever seen.

Most recently, I've seen family and friends cope with the loss of two Penn students -- Jose Joseph and Anirban Majumdar.

Throughout the entire year, and looking back at all of these events, I have come to expect only one thing out of the readers of our newspaper -- feedback.

Many of you did not hesitate to call us when you had comments about our stories, columns and editorials. Some of you have posted comments on our Web site, dailypennsylvanian.com. And the stream of letters to the editor has continued, with subjects ranging from the war in Afghanistan to the changes in campus dining plans.

Moreover, there are many of you who have asked to meet me in person to discuss the issues on your mind. I have done so, many times, and listened to your thoughts on the DP's coverage and about our relationship with different segments of the Penn community.

For these opportunities, I thank you.

The DP is a product of the labor of students. We do not presume to be perfect. We strive to present the news of this community fairly. And we hope, with our constantly revolving staff, to capture the issues of an ever-changing student body.

Recently, I have come to realize that what I foreshadowed a year ago was true -- publishing a daily newspaper is not an easy task.

But, thankfully, I have had the privilege of working with some of the finest individuals at Penn today. DP editors, managers, reporters and staffers devote their days and entire collegiate careers to filling these pages -- and, I say with pride, they do it better than any other college newspaper staff in this country.

In three days, the DP's outgoing board of editors and managers will choose the new leaders of this organization, and my year atop our masthead will come to an end.

As my tenure comes to a close, I am reminded of a story that reflects my experiences over the past year and my hopes for the future:

A naturalist once studied the interaction of chimpanzees and noticed that, because of the close bond shared by members of their community, the animals will do virtually anything for each other, including painful tasks such as removing the splinters from one another.

Over the past year, I've come to realize that there are still many splinters affecting our community at Penn.

But because of the remarkable bond that I have witnessed among our community's members, and because of the constant feedback that I have come to expect from all of you, we have succeeded in making our community -- this University -- a better one.

Today, as I prepare to leave my office at The Daily Pennsylvanian, I hope that you will remember that while your fingers may be splintered, there will always be a community, and a newspaper, at Penn to help.

Michael Vondriska is a senior Accounting concentrator from St. Louis, Mo., and executive editor of The Daily Pennsylvanian.