Memories from years past may fade, but they certainly don't disappear.

The date was Oct. 20, 2000. The Penn volleyball team, riding a five-match win streak, arrived at Dillon Gym in Princeton, N.J., hoping to take sole possession of first place in the Ivy League standings by battling it out with Princeton.

That Friday matchup was anything but a battle, as the Tigers quickly disposed of the Quakers in three straight games.

"We got there and just collapsed because we were so intimidated by the fact that we were playing Princeton," Penn junior Stacey Carter said.

The Quakers dropped to 3-2 in the Ivy League after that match, while the Tigers improved to 4-1.

The contest made the difference in the Ivy standings last year, as Princeton finished up the regular season atop the Ivies at 6-1, while Penn came in second at 5-2. Princeton went on to win the postseason Ivy League Tournament.

Now it is 2001, and a new season is underway. The Quakers (6-3, 0-0 Ivy League) again have won five straight, again will challenge the Tigers (6-4, 0-0) on a Friday and again will be traveling to Princeton to do so.

But Penn coach Kerry Major -- who is 0-3 against the Tigers in her coaching career -- is taking a different approach to tonight's 7 p.m. matchup at Old Nassau.

"First year, I tried getting my players psyched up and ready to beat Princeton," Major said. "Second year, I tried to treat it as just another game. Last year, I tried to make them recognize that it is a mountain and try to make it a molehill."

"This year, I'm just going in confident. They're tough, but we're going to be tougher."

The Quakers hear Major's message, but they still can't deny that a victory over the Tigers will carry a special significance.

"Princeton's always been one of our biggest rivals, but this year we're trying to look at it as just another game so we don't psych ourselves out," Carter said. "But still, there's nothing better -- besides winning the Ivy League Championship -- than beating Princeton."

Senior setter Jodie Antypas, who has also never tasted victory over Princeton, echoed Carter's sentiments.

"I know I only have two chances left," Antypas said. "I just want to beat them so bad. And I know we can do it this year, so I'm not scared."

Antypas and her fellow seniors -- outside hitter Stephanie Horan and middle hitter Kelly Szczerba -- will get a final crack at the Tigers on Nov. 13, but tonight is the last chance for the Class of 2002 to beat Princeton on the Tigers' court.

So today, the Quakers will travel to Princeton. They'll nostalgically walk into Dillon Gym, hear the boos from the crowd and warm up for their 7 p.m. matchup, riding a five-match win streak.

And they're hoping the deja vu stops right there.