On Saturday night, Penn students returned to being, well, just Penn students.

Instead of concerned Americans bracing for war, we were, just for a few hours, patrons at Smokey Joe's. Instead of devout CNN viewers, many of us were hanging out at fraternity parties, joining friends for dinner in Center City or just simply spending some quiet time at home.

This weekend -- for the first time since a series of horrific terrorist attacks fundamentally changed the way we live our lives -- Penn students finally had an opportunity to relax. And many of us took full advantage.

For some it was a way of releasing the tensions built up by a week of anguish, fear and uncertainty. For others, the two-day respite from classes provided just a longer interval to check the news and make calls to friends and loved ones.

The events of last week tested our resolve as a nation and our strength as individuals. Many of us have been touched personally by the disasters in New York and Washington, and all of us have different ways of responding to these tragedies.

And so, some of us needed the weekend to relax. And some of us needed the weekend to recover. And some of us needed the weekend to stay informed.

Those differences will remain, though, far into this week and those that follow. Some will remain visibly concerned, while others may let their emotions take a temporary backseat to class assignments or extracurricular activities. Most will find their own unique way of balancing their concern with the demands of "everyday life."

But following last week's events, one thing remains true for our entire community: We have all been affected.

For that reason, it is important that we continue to support and nurture each other during these difficult times. Whether we choose to blow off steam at a local watering hole, tear through textbooks or just sit in front of the TV, it's important that we keep supporting the other members of this community in a way that is neither judgmental nor intolerant.

Doing so makes it much easier for us all to make it through these tough times. And it shortens the time until we can all finally say that we are, once again, just Penn students.