Protect each other

To the Editor:

The South Asia Society of the University of Pennsylvania would like to express its deepest condolences to the victims and their families of Tuesday's horrific tragedy. These heinous acts of cowardice are being condemned worldwide, and we share our sorrow and grief in the wake of this devastating attack on the United States.

It is understandable that anger and rage are among the most overwhelming feelings across the nation right now. Clearly these feelings of anger have led many Americans to reach out to their countrymen and offer their support emotionally, physically and financially.

Unfortunately, while there has been an incredible outpouring of support, there has also been a disturbing increase in division. As much as feelings of outrage are justified, we must maintain composure and understand our fellow Americans. Recent incidents of violence against the Asian-American population have led to an increase in tensions throughout our communities. These incidents have instilled a fear among Asian Americans, which has undoubtedly inhibited the healing process across the nation.

At this time, Americans need to bond together to fight for a universal goal. This is not the time to divide ourselves as a nation and fight with our fellow countrymen. Our objectives should be ensuring swift justice, restoring peace to our nation, preserving democracy and maintaining a sense of brotherhood among every citizen.

We in the South Asian community are committed to supporting America in the fight against terrorism. We urge all Americans not to needlessly fight with one another, but rather to support each other and our government as they bring these cowardly perpetrators to justice, and restore stability to our way of life. President John F. Kennedy once said, "Our privileges can be no greater than our obligations. The protection of our rights can endure no longer than the performance of our responsibilities."

Now, more than ever before, it is our responsibility to preserve the foundations upon which this nation was established, and to ensure that freedom prospers across the world. But before we are able to this, we must first protect one another. God Bless America.

Karthik Anbalagan

President, Penn South Asia

Society Let us mourn, rest To the Editor:

There has been much praise of how the Penn community has been sticking together and supporting each other during this difficult period. As a manager in Spruce College House and the chair of the Residential Advisory Board, I am proud to witness and participate in the effort to minimize, however difficult, the pain of the last few days.

There are, however, some very sick people in our midst. I am awake, writing this letter in the wee hours of Thursday morning, September 13, because three fire alarms were just pulled in Ware College House. Because the bomb threat in the Quad after dinner wasn't enough. And because the bomb threat in the Quad this morning wasn't enough. And because the events of Tuesday weren't enough. None of these things were enough to stop these demented people that won't let us mourn and rest.

How are our freshman residents, who have just arrived on campus only for the world to fall apart around them, supposed to show up for life tomorrow when someone won't even sleep through the night?

Margaret Watt

College '02