An unnecessary image

To the Editor:

"My hair is like a disobedient child, beaten into submission with regular violence. Oh, it'll behave now, but it's got a short fuse."

I was horrified to see this reference by Dan Fishback in trying to make the reader understand the complex behavior of his hair ("My unruly hair, finally conquered," The Daily Pennsylvanian, 9/7/01).

While the column itself seems to lack much of a point, it is unnecessary and insensitive to conjure up such a negative image in the mind of his readers in order to describe a topic as benign as messy hair. Hopefully in the future, Mr. Fishback will refrain from such references in his columns.

Paul Goodman

Dental '02

FWOT's an institution

To the Editor:

One of the main things that attracted me to Penn was its community feel. Unlike Princeton or Dartmouth, I felt that Penn wasn't an isolated academic bubble, but rather a lively city environment, containing both the advantages and problems of America's major urban centers. Yet it seems that Penn is now trying to isolate itself from reality, creating a mini-universe of overpriced bagel stores and GAP denim.

Fingers, Wings and Other Things was an institution. When you walked down FWOT's linoleum stairs, you knew you were entering something real. It wasn't about the greasy fingers or fries as much as the experience of living in West Philadelphia itself. Where else could you supersize your meal by saying "Hook me up?" Not at Izzy and Zoey's. Not at Ma Jolie.

Penn should stop trying to protect us from Philadelphia. That's what we're here for -- and the buffalo wings.

Jeff Grosz

College '02

In the right direction

To the Editor:

It is truly gratifying to see Penn soar to number five in the latest U.S. News and World Report rankings. Many argue that the rankings are inaccurate, inconsistent, and/or meaningless. However, whatever their true significance is, they at least reflect that the University is heading in the right direction and improving their standing.

While Penn has always been one of the top schools, I feel we were underrated in the past -- so the new rankings are a welcome change. Substantial credit must be given to University President Judith Rodin, under whose stewardship Penn's stature has risen steadily, whether perceived or otherwise.

Now if we can just overtake those annoying, pretentious, eating-club members from Jersey, all would be right with the world. I hope that Dr. Rodin remains up to the task and that we do not rest on our laurels.

Arya Towfighi

College '88