Senior tri-captain John Salvucci, shown in the midst of a 4-0 toppling of Temple last year, hopes Penn can best last year's sub-.500 record.[Will Burhop/DP File Photo]

John Salvucci has been around the men's soccer program long enough to know the taste of defeat -- after all, the Quakers have gone 14-31-3 in Salvucci's first three seasons.

But the senior is more than ready to leave the past behind and lead the Penn men's soccer team to success in his final bid for a winning record.

And there seems to be no one better to lead the charge.

Salvucci, from the nearby town of Swarthmore, Pa., has been a determined competitor ever since he started playing sports years ago.

Deciding to play soccer seemed the obvious choice -- all of his friends played, and he was better at it than baseball.

"I came from a real big soccer town," Salvucci said. "We played just about all day. After tournaments and games, we'd come home and keep playing in our backyards."

What started out as a social activity progressively turned into more as Salvucci matured. Throughout high school he played for the competitive FC Delco club team, and most recently, the Medford Strikers, who advanced to the national semifinals.

"Everyone from the Delco team went on to play at big schools," Salvucci said. "Growing up, I didn't even consider playing at college. I just played for fun around town."

At Penn, he has shown that his talent is no fluke.

Salvucci, who sports a full head of bushy red hair, started all but one game as a freshman, and has since demonstrated his authority in the backfield.

"John is one of the most skillful defenders the Ivy League has," Penn senior tri-captain Sam Chamovitz said. "He is a very experienced, silent kind of player. He leads by example and works hard all of the time."

In 1999, Salvucci was named All-Ivy Honorable Mention for his work in the backline.

Even though his teammates value his skill on the field, it's what he does for the team off the grass that means the most.

Described as a great leader by both his coach and teammates, Salvucci's ability to lead his team stems from his intense determination and his vivacious personality.

"John is a real laid-back guy, but by the same token, he brings a lot of intensity to the field," senior tri-captain Evan Anderson said. "He does a great job bringing along the younger players and his leadership on the field is tremendous."

Fellow senior and goalie Jeff Groeber has known and played with Salvucci since they were 10 years old. He credits Salvucci's success to his talent as well as his personality.

"John is one of the most competitive kids on the team. You can always count on him to give 110 percent," Groeber said. "His spirit gets everyone going. He makes you laugh and he's always a good time. He's one of the most goofy kids I've known in my life."

Salvucci is dedicated to his team, but he also strives to be an active member of the Penn community.

A history major and member of the Sigma Chi fraternity as well as the Friars Senior Honor Society and Omega, a Greek honor society, Salvucci is active despite the grueling and busy schedule that playing a varsity sport demands.

But aside from all else, academics have remained a priority. That is, in fact, why Salvucci chose Penn four years ago.

"John is a well-rounded individual," Chamovitz said. "He works hard in the classroom, and socially, too. I value John's commitment level and work ethic."

Salvucci is hoping that all of his hard work over the years will pay off this season for the Quakers. He wants a taste of glory before he steps off Rhodes Field for the last time.

"He is a very mature individual. He sets a very good example," Penn head coach Rudy Fuller said. "John's going to be sorely missed next year."

And just as much as the team will miss him, Salvucci will miss the sport. From his backyard to Rhodes Field, soccer has been an integral part of Salvucci's life. The only way to top it all off is with an Ivy League title.

And that's just what he plans to do.