[Malcolm Brown/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

In wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks, we have seen Democrats and Republicans harmoniously sing together to the tune of "God Bless America" on the Capitol steps. We have witnessed many Arabs and Jews standing together to condemn terror. And here at Penn, we have come together across different schools and years to show our solidarity with the thousands of victims by donating blood, attending vigils, organizing fundraisers or simply hanging American flags out the window.

In other words, Penn, America and most of the world have all chosen, quite wisely, to leave behind our particular differences and disagreements -- to join forces in these times of crisis. Nevertheless, ever since Penn for Peace held a pacifist demonstration on College Green a few days ago, tensions have been brewing between those students in favor of a strong U.S.-led military retaliation and those against it.

For the time being, the scuffle has been limited to angry exchanges of bitter words on The Daily Pennsylvanian's online feedback forums and on the editorial page. However, should the tensions between the two groups escalate, the great spirit of solidarity that has been the key element of Penn's outstanding response to the attacks could be jeopardized.

Maybe it's time that both pacifist and pro-retaliation students at Penn followed the example of world leaders and ordinary people who have risen above their personal disagreements to create a unified shield to comfort the victims and hold the enemy at bay.

This does not imply by any means that different points of view about the conflict should be suppressed. They should and must be expressed, but in a respectful and cordial manner. I personally believe that a strong retaliation is just and necessary, but I respect those who disagree with this position. Others should do the same.

Some Penn students who are in favor of retaliation, instead of dismissing divergent views as "stupid" or "un-American," should learn to respectfully challenge the pacifists' arguments. On the other hand, the pacifists could demonstrate their willingness to reach common ground by showing at least a little bit of gratitude for the brave military men and women who at this very moment are putting their lives on the line for them. Instead of holding demonstrations against a retaliation that has not even occurred, perhaps they should be lighting candles for those who are no longer with us.

Furthermore, instead of tearing each other apart rhetorically, both groups would be well advised to follow the cool-headed and conciliatory approach that President Bush has shown when dealing with this crisis. By averting any attack -- now close to three weeks since the terrorist attacks -- the president has been able to plan for a well-organized, successful and just retaliation. Bush has decided to get it right instead of getting it fast, privileging careful strategy over rushed impulse. And by adopting a conciliatory tone, he has secured the support of nations that rarely rally behind America's interests, such as Pakistan and Russia.

It's important to keep in mind that no matter how daunting the discrepancies between Penn students for and against military retaliation might appear on the surface, the ties that bind this community together reach much deeper than the present disagreements. Regardless of our political stances on this issue, all of us at Penn were hurt, shocked and outraged by the despicable acts of terror.

Regardless of our ideological positions, all of us condemn terrorism and believe that Osama bin Laden and his associates should be punished. Regardless of our individual philosophies, all of us at Penn believe in freedom and justice as opposed to violent fundamentalism and terror.

Above all, we should not forget that the enemy is neither the radical Penn pacifist nor the fervent advocate for military action; but bin Laden and his network of terrorists. If we lose sight of this crucial fact and start quarreling amongst each other, we have lost. Enough damage has been done and far too much pain inflicted -- it is our duty to make sure that these terrible events do not divide the Penn community, pitting our own against our own.

In these challenging moments, let's draw strength from the basic spirit of goodwill that lives in most people at Penn and elsewhere. Wear a ribbon. Make a donation. Fly the American flag. Remember those who are gone and treasure the company of those among us. Defend your points of view respectfully and respect the views of others.

Federico Sanchez is a sophomore International Relations major from Guadalajara, Mexico