The country and the University are currently trying to get back to a state of normalcy.

And so, unlike the canceled varsity athletic events throughout the Ivy League and other leagues around the country, some club sports at Penn staged their regularly scheduled matchups over the weekend.

Penn's club water polo team set out westward toward the barren plains of Millersville University for its first game of the season on Saturday.

"Since we had already respected the national day of mourning on Friday, I thought that it was better to play the game than to have had to reschedule," junior Chris Schurman explained.

While Penn announced cancellation of varsity athletic events last Thursday, there was little doubt from the get-go about the status of Saturday's Penn-Millersville water polo contest.

"We knew that we were going to play from the beginning," junior Luke Durkin said. "I have no problem with [playing] because I think we need get back to normal."

While others may have questioned the legitimacy of playing on such a clouded weekend, the team left no questions unanswered in the water.

Penn quickly attacked the weaker Millersville team by overwhelming the hapless Marauders with a quicker and stronger team effort.

Led by captain Drew Evans' three goals and one assist, the Quakers rolled over Millersville, 14-8.

Durkin also added two goals, three steals and an assist in the effort, helping to allow the younger class of freshmen a chance at their first collegiate action.

"Our game was good because we got a chance to see the freshmen and how they'll play for the rest of the season," Durkin said.

"This was a very good chance to see everyone play," Schurman added. "We brought mostly young guys on this trip and we're ready to see what we can do next week."

As the water polo team begins the week and readies itself for its upcoming tournament at Villanova, other activities at Penn will soon be back on track -- the University's varsity athletic teams resume their regular schedule today.