3af095ef0a29d851
Three members of the Arkansas women's 4x1,500-meter relay team congratulate one another after winning the Championship of America event. The Razorbacks beat Stanford by 2.64 seconds to claim the title. [Will Burhop/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

For the first time in five years, St. Malachy's -- a high school from Belfast, Ireland -- did not win the boys' distance medley relay. But St. Malachy's didn't disappear or disappoint. Far from it. Three guys from last year's team -- John Frazer, Thomas Frazer and Conor Sweeney -- along with 1997 grad Garreth Turnbull teamed up to lead a team called "St. Malachy's Old Boys" to a victory in the Olympic Development DMR. o Florida's Rickey Harris stood and watched as Camden's (N.J.) Dwight Ruff broke his high school record in the 400-meter hurdles Saturday morning. Ruff, who also ran on Camden's 4x100 and 4x400 teams, ran a 50.47. It was .19 seconds faster than Harris ran two years ago, and the fifth-fastest U.S. high school time ever. But Harris had a little redemption. Ten minutes after Ruff's race, he won the college men's 400 hurdles in 49.83 seconds. "This is the biggest meet for me in the world," Harris said. "My goal is to be on that wall of fame. I want to be on there so bad." o The lone world record set at the Relays was by a quartet of 40-somethings. Sal Allah, Keith Morning, Ed Gonera and Ray Blackwell -- a foursome representing Sprint Force America -- set the mark by running 3:20.83 in the masters men 4x400. o Fiery preacher Brother Stephen, formerly a regular visitor to Penn's campus, returned on Friday to deliver a mini-sermon (or two, or three) on 33rd street, less than 100 yards from Franklin Field. o Dawn Ellerbe added six inches to her American record in the hammer by unleashing a 231'8" throw. o Sub-four-minute miler Alan Webb's South Lakes (Va.) team sat in section SL. Just a coincidence, though, according to South Lakes coach Scott Raczko. When he coached at a rival Virginia high school, Raczko's team would also sit in that section for the Penn Relays. o Josh Joseph, who ran the lead off leg for third-place Cherokee (N.J.) in the high school boys' distance medley, will don the red and blue next season. He chose Penn over William and Mary. o Princeton ran into some bad luck in the college men's 4x800. In the second lap of the race, Tennessee's Marcus Tanner collided with Princeton's Rob Hulick. Both went down, but Tanner quickly got up. Hulick eventually got up (to cheers by the crowd) and finished his leg, but the Tigers dropped out of the race 100 meters into their second leg. o In the always-memorable 75-and-older 100-yard dash, 80-year-old Jim Manno won in 15.32 seconds. The oldest competitor was an 84-year-old reverend, Champ Goldy. He finished fourth. o Now for some unofficial awards from the Relays. Best name: Tie between I-Perfection Harris (high schooler from Poly Prep, N.Y., who won the long jump) and Gorgeous Harris (member of 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams for William Penn, Pa.). Best uniform: North Carolina A & T sprinters and their very bright yellow bodysuits. Most unique handoff: While trying to pass the baton to teammate Dijon Walton in a qualifying heat for the 4x400, Long Beach Poly's (Calif.) Dione Cason somehow ended up on the ground, facing the wrong way on the track. But that didn't stop Carson. He passed the baton over his head to Walton. Long Beach Poly still ended up winning its heat and advancing to the finals -- where it finished third.