No progress on humanities

To the Editor: I wish to comment on your final review of the Agenda for Excellence ("'This place looks a heck of a lot better,'" The Daily Pennsylvanian, 4/27/01). Having been here for four years, I can certainly agree that "this place looks a heck of a lot better." President Rodin is to be commended for all that she has done for Penn. However, as acknowledged by Provost Barchi and others in the article, Penn's commitment to the humanities is suspect to say the least. It is shameful that the truly excellent Music Department languishes in a building that ought to be condemned, and that studies of the ancient Near East are so beleaguered, especially in light of Penn's superior scholarship and unique artifact collection. Other examples, I'm sure, are widespread; these are the only departments I happen to know about. The message to Penn students and everyone else is loud and clear: We care most about departments that get us headlines and lots of money. However, a real university exists, at least in part, to protect valuable areas of study that are not commercially rewarding or even widely popular. While it is obvious that health, law and business are vital occupations, there also needs to be some reason why we are healthy, live by laws and make money. There has to be a pursuit of truth, and beauty, and other sublime values which cannot adequately be given a dollar value. Until Penn's commitment to the humanities catches up with its excellent faculty and student body, I say that Penn may remain a great school, but it not yet even a mediocre university.

Adam Rose Medicine '01

In support of the Rotunda

To the Editor: In response to Dara Ditsworth's recent column about revitalizing the Rotunda ("Toward a Foundation, DP, 4/20/01), I have a few supportive thoughts. I am in complete agreement with the need to make a real connection between the Penn community and the surrounding neighborhoods. While I work at Penn, I also live at 46th and Locust and am a local musician. West Philadelphia has so much potential as a vibrant multiethnic area, but there are many divisions to overcome between different ethnic and socio-economic groups. The arts have always been a vehicle for furthering dialogue and relationships. Penn needs to show its commitment even more to these issues as a responsible partner in the community. The students' ideas about the Rotunda as a cultural center are excellent and could happen with the right funding and smart planning in place.

Dan Piper Ticketing Systems Coordinator Annenberg Center