This is a message for everyone who, at some point during the past week, decided to sign a bid with either a fraternity or sorority. You have just made a decision that -- whether you know it or not -- will drastically alter the rest of your college career, if not your entire life. The next two months are going to be an intense period during which you will probably wonder what your semester would have been like if you never went through rush. And your perceptions of this campus -- as well as this campus' perceptions of you -- will be permanently altered. Through all of this, I promise that you'll never regret the choice you made. Choosing to be Greek at Penn means buying into a lifestyle that has fought an uphill battle for respect. Fraternities and sororities are perceived as racist and elitist; combine that with extremely rare -- yet high profile -- alcohol-related, rape-related or fight-related incidents, and it's easy to see why people are so quick to judge. But it is important to remember that for every silly Internet incident or pledge prank, the fraternities and sororities at large provide abundant services and resources for the campus and West Philadelphia communities. Many people who choose, for whatever reason, not to join fraternities or sororities may not understand the experiences that being in a house affords its members. While some houses are more diverse than others, no matter what house you have joined, there is a strong likelihood that many of your pledge brothers or sisters will have had extremely different life experiences than you. By the same token, you will probably meet many new people with whom you share interests. You'll get to meet more people than you probably ever could have had you not joined a house. And while I would be blatantly lying if I said you'll end up best friends with everyone in your house, chances are you will find more than one person who you'll still hang out with 20 years down the road. Being in a Greek organization will also provide you with multiple opportunities to serve your campus and your community. Some houses may be more visible in their philanthropic activities than others, but every house on this campus has a national charity. Additionally, there are campus-wide events -- such as the Rena Rowan Ribbon Run -- that involve every sorority or fraternity. For those of us who are concerned yet admittedly lazy, Greek membership provides an easy way to contribute to the community. As we all know, the Greek system on Penn's campus provides an invaluable social outlet for those who choose to participate in that particular scene. Without sorority parties, I don't know if I would ever even have thought to set foot in Polly Esther's. Admittedly, the Greek system at Penn is imperfect. The annual changes to the makeup of the fraternity roster are a testament to the ever-evolving nature of Greek life on this campus. Rush is an unfortunately unfair process for everyone involved, and there are always a few people who end up unhappy, at least initially. Competition between houses and the hierarchical nature of the system are two unavoidable by-products of the way that fraternities and sororities work. And once in a while, something horrific does happen in association with a Greek organization. Despite the admirable efforts of campus leaders, these trends continue and most likely will remain long after we all graduate. Regardless, the Greek system on this campus has nearly limitless potential to positively impact student life and the community at large. And each house offers its new members countless opportunities for personal, intellectual and social growth. For all of you who signed bids, you have begun what may be a never-ending process. I can guarantee that no matter what happens from here on out -- even if your house loses its charter or you choose to deactivate two years from now -- no one can take away the experiences you are about to share or the lessons you learn about yourself. By entering into your fraternity or sorority, you have opened up a world of options. Always be aware of what your membership affords you, and take advantage of those new opportunities when they arise. And always be glad you signed that bid card.