Whenever his community has needed him, George Weiss has answered the call. In 1987, he stepped up to help a Philadelphia sixth grade class go to college, when he promised each of the 112 students free university tuition upon their high school graduation. He's offered even more since then, expanding his Say Yes to Education foundation to provide support for inner-city youths in several cities. Even considering such generous support, Weiss' most benevolent contributions over the past 25 years have been to his alma mater. Over that time, the Wharton alumnus has provided the University with over $40 million in gifts, as well as his service as a University Trustee. Weiss' latest gift -- a $20 million donation to fund undergraduate financial aid, athletics and a new campus technology hub -- is yet another example of remarkable, well-timed philanthropy. Not only is the gift one of the University's largest in the past decade, but it is also unique in recognizing the financial needs of several different arms of the University. On the heels of some dramatic changes in the Ivy League financial aid network -- exemplified by Princeton University's decision to replace all undergraduate loans with grant programs -- Weiss' gift recognizes the importance that financing has on drawing and retaining the very best students to the University, no matter what their financial status. It also establishes a admirable precedent for other alumni considering making gifts to the University. Weiss' clout, as chairman of the University's Undergraduate Aid Committee, is an invaluable asset in Penn's efforts to make the cost of education more affordable. The commitment of an undisclosed amount to athletics will further work to keep Quaker athletes successful on the playing field. And the inclusion of a technology hub as a component of the gift is an innovative concept that will help keep the University's academic programming in touch with changes in the nation's scientific infrastructure. For all these efforts, Weiss deserves the thanks of all members of the Penn community.