When Houston Market opened early last semester, University administrators lauded their latest retail achievement, claiming that the new food court would provide students with the low-cost, on-campus dining option for which they had long clamored. Just four months later, it now appears that those very same officials may have pulled a fast one on us. The University's decision this week to hike prices at the popular eatery raises significant questions about its dedication to providing those infamous and elusive low prices. More than that, it suggests that Penn's retail decision-makers may have evoked a bait-and-switch scheme on the student body -- bringing students into the new food court with promises of low prices, then hiking the bill once we began relying on the eatery as a place to meet and have a quick lunch. In its one semester of operation, Houston Market has found a loyal customer base on campus by providing quality snacks and entrees at competitive prices. But the key term here is "competitive." Prices at the Market, though certainly comparable to most retail establishments in the city, have never truly set it apart from any other area dining locale. Houston Market has flourished, in fact, primarily because its prime location and wide selection provide a great convenience to hungry students and University employees -- especially considering the lack of other similar options on campus. This week's price jump, though modest, does little more than increase the premium for eating lunch just steps away from your next afternoon class. University administrators claim that the price jump merely reflects marketplace demand. They say that the new prices reflect a better understanding of their customers, and that they have no desire to post a profit on Penn students. But that rationale is hard to understand, especially considering the already large crowds that continue to keep the Market busy at lunchtime. Rather than imposing higher prices on students every time the crowds get thicker, University administrators should revisit their early promises and consider the tight pockets of their student customers. Maybe then we'll take them at their word.