Monday's campus-wide celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day was a welcome addition to the University calendar and a fitting tribute to a man whose legacy will long be defined by the principles of justice, equality and heroism. The members of the University MLK Day Committee -- who organized Monday's events and those still to come -- left virtually no stone unturned, planning a considerable lineup of tributes and community service-oriented activities over nearly two weeks to keep the University community involved and focused on the true meaning of the King holiday. The committee's mantra, in fact, that MLK Day should be "a day on, not a day off," properly characterized the spirit of remembrance and celebration that should accompany the rare weekday away from work and classes. Sadly, though, the calendar just didn't match up with the University's wise decision to finally recognize the MLK Day holiday this year. Although Monday's events were generally well attended -- more so, even, than organizers had ever expected -- more than a few members of the University community used the day to extend their weekend or move back into their residences in preparation for the new semester. But the true test of how the University community chooses to commemorate the life of this American hero won't come until next year. With a decidedly more friendly calendar in place next year, in which MLK Day will fall more than two full weeks into the semester, Penn students and staff will have a better opportunity to show their respect for one of history's most revered civil rights figures. That tribute, though, need not wait until next January. Community celebrations are ongoing over the next few weeks, and most are open to all so that the entire University may recognize the King legacy as it sees fit. Attending such events is just one way to commemorate King's life. But a more fitting way to celebrate is by evoking King's principles in everyday life, making them far more than an excuse for an extra day off.