While the common Penn student recuperates in bed from a sleep-deprived exam week this winter break, 37 men will shed their covers of protection and go to battle. On December 29, January 7 and January 12, the Quakers men's wrestling team will look to continue its assault on its opponents. This time frame may constitute a vacation to some, but not to the Penn wrestlers, who will be grappling with arguably the most competitive portion of this year's schedule, prior to the NCAAs. The first destination for the Red and Blue wrestling train is Evanston, Ill., and the Northwestern campus. Here, Penn will attempt to derail strong opposition in The Midlands Open. "The Midlands is annually one of, if not the best collegiate tournament leading up to the NCAAs, and is a true test of where we stand nationally," Penn coach Roger Reina said. Reina will be looking at this tournament as a test of the Red and Blue's current abilities, in preparation for the grand-daddy of them al -- the NCAAs. "It takes place with two months remaining in the season, so that improvements can still be made after the Midlands and before the NCAAs," Reina said. Last season, the Quakers placed fourth out of the 56 teams in the Midlands field, a field that includes the elite teams of the Big Ten. The reigning Ivy League champions will return home to the Palestra on January 7, when they will attempt to avenge last season's 18-17 loss at Michigan. Penn's match with the Wolverines is part of a home-and-home agreement, as the Quakers traveled to Ann Arbor last January. "Michigan is a highlight of our home dual meet season," Reina said. Finally, the Red and Blue will travel to Hampton, Va., on January 16 to take part in the 16-team Virginia Duals. "The Virginia Duals is a national caliber event -- very prestigious," Reina said. The notable teams the Quakers will be wrestling against in the Hampton Coliseum are Cornell, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Rider, Virginia, Wisconsin and West Virginia. Reina is looking to finalize his dual meet team prior to the Virginia Duals, noting the ranking implications the tournament holds. "We expect to have our dual-meet lineup solidified by then and look forward to gaining on our national ranking at this event," Reina noted. So when your head aches from lack of sleep or your stomach feels queasy from egg-nog, just remember, some of your classmates will be attacking the premier wrestlers in the country, bleeding red and blue.