Nikky Ptak was undefeated at the ECAC Championships for the Red and Blue. (Stefan Miltchev/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

As the fall season comes to a close for the Penn women's tennis team, a group of freshmen has reinvigorated a squad that appeared to be weakened by the loss of its top two players and both captains. Thus far, Sanela Kunovac, Nikky Ptak and Rachel Shweky have played with a composure that belies their youth and inexperience. "We've all kind of clicked together, and though we're still adjusting, we've been able to help the team out a little bit," Kunovac said. That little bit has included a trip to the semifinals for Kunovac in the Cissie Leary Invitational, a perfect 4-0 singles weekend for Ptak at the ECAC Championships and consistently strong doubles play by the tandem of Shweky and Ptak. In addition to the success she has had so far, Kunovac gives the Quakers something they haven't had in a number of years -- a legitimate No. 1. "When you look at our roster, you see a bunch of girls who are pretty evenly matched," co-captain Jolene Sloat said. "But when you see Sanela, she's just a cut above. She's our No. 1." Kunovac brings an unshakeable confidence and a robust bag of tricks to the court every time out. "She's such a a smart, tough player, and she has so many shots she can beat you with," Sloat added. "She's a No. 1 that could do really really well in the Ivies this year." Penn coach Mike Dowd echoed Sloat's sentiments regarding the perspicacity and mental fortitude of the young Quaker. "Sanela's mental game is definitely her strength. She's so smart and she's totally fearless," Dowd said. "She's gonna be very tough to beat." Kunovac has also teamed with Rochelle Raiss at No. 1 doubles. The formidable pair has meshed quickly despite very different styles of play. "We have such different games, but we complement each other really well," Raiss said. The duo will take its show on the road this weekend at the ITA Regionals at William & Mary. The tandem of Shweky and Ptak will join them in Williamsburg, Va., as they received an at-large bid to the tournament. In addition to representing the Red and Blue in doubles, Ptak and Kunovac will also play singles. Though Ptak was not as highly touted a recruit as her Bosnian counterpart, her invitation to the tournament was met with no surprise by Dowd. "I wasn't sure how good Nikky was going to be coming in," Dowd said. "But her record and her performance in the fall have definitely opened some eyes and earned her a spot in this tournament." That record has been nearly spotless in singles play. After losing two matches in her first collegiate tournament, the only loss Ptak has suffered was to teammate Kunovac in the Cissie Leary tournament. "She's beaten some top players and she keeps improving every time she plays," Dowd said. "When I recruited her, I thought she might be a diamond in the rough, but I never could have expected this." The play of Shweky, Ptak and Kunovac has convinced Sloat that the Quakers will break out of their role as perennial Ivy bridesmaids. "The three of them are definitely what we need to finally win the Ivies," Sloat said.