To the Editor: On behalf of the University Honor Council, I would like to commend Ariel Horn for her column ("No bang for the buck," Daily Pennsylvanian, 11/15/00) exposing the inadequacies of term-paper mills. She makes a good case these papers offer superficial analysis, if any, and are generally substantively void. A rational thinker would be led to the conclusion that it's probably not a great idea to turn in one of these papers and expect to do well in a class. So, from a consumer's standpoint, that information is appreciated. Ms. Horn makes another good point: the danger of plagiarism. And plagiarism is one of the six or seven deadly sins of an academic institution. She also notes that professors are taking academic integrity quite seriously these days; I agree. In my few years serving the UHC, I have seen an increase in faculty engagement in these issues, as well as a growing reliance on technology to detect cheating. This goes to show that these term-paper mills are a prime example of why these short cuts can leave you with a higher price to pay than $5 to $14.95 per page.

Rikki Tanenbaum College '01

The writer is chairwoman of the University Honor Council.

Don't fault Republicans

To the Editor: In response to Lisa Parsley's column, "The great Florida ballot swindle" (DP, 11/16/00), I would like to say that I feel she unfairly accused the Republicans of wrongdoing. As Parsley herself said, the reports of fraud are merely "allegations." Just because the Republicans are trying to halt further recounts doesn't mean they're trying to cover up a crime. It simply means they are trying to win the election which is now in their favor. Al Gore is doing the same thing by calling for further recounts. Although Parsley claimed she was trying to stand up for justice, she was in reality attacking Republicans who were only wrong because they were Republicans. In that sense, she was doing exactly what the Republicans tried to do last year to President Clinton. Our government has to move beyond these ridiculous party divisions and start focusing on our entire nation. As long as Americans continue to distrust other Americans because of their party affiliation, the United States won't find any solutions, but only more problems.

Rob Banovac College '04

UPPD really a melting pot

To the Editor: As a student leader, I have had the pleasure of working with Chief Maureen Rush and the entire University of Pennsylvania Police Department. They have sponsored our proposals when the results would improve the quality of life on campus, they have sought out our opinion on safety-related issues and they have worked with UA members to form focus groups of minority students to speak specifically about their relationship with the UPPD. Needless to say, I was shocked to read the DP article "Race issues divide men in blue" last Friday. The article's one-sided reporting involved interviews with former police officers who lost their jobs for performance-related issues -- not racial biases -- and does not accurately represent the true tale of Penn's diverse police force. Since my freshman year, I have seen first-hand how the UPPD has tried to foster a police department that is responsive to the needs of our campus and also reflects the great racial diversity that exists throughout West Philadelphia. On any given day, one can walk into the UPPD and see officers of various cultures and backgrounds interacting and working together in an environment that fosters such behavior. While the UA joins the rest of the school in wanting more minorities in high-ranking positions within the UPPD, to claim that minority promotions are meant to serve as "window dressing" is a gross misrepresentation of the facts. I encourage all students who feel otherwise to contact me. Chief Rush would be more than happy to sit down with you to discuss ways in which we can all work to improve the department's diversity and relationship with the community.

Michael Bassik College '01

The writer is chairman of the Undergraduate Assembly.