Gavin Hoffman was named the best player in the Ancient Eight yesterday. He is the first Penn quarterback ever to win the Bushnell Cup. (Alyssa Cwanger/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

He has an Ivy League title under his belt. He has captured a ring signifying his team's march to glory. He has more records than he knows what to do with. Now Penn football star Gavin Hoffman has just a little bit more. The junior quarterback was named the 2000 Bushnell Cup winner yesterday as the Ivy League's most valuable player. Hoffman anchored a Quakers squad this season that went 6-1 in Ivy play and 7-3 overall to win the league title. As the signal-caller and leader on the team, Hoffman compiled extraordinary numbers in just his second year donning the Red and Blue. On the season, the junior transfer from Northwestern went 272-for-386 with 24 touchdown passes and 3,214 yards. These numbers are not just dominant in Ivy League play. They also make Hoffman one of the elite quarterbacks in the nation. In Division I-AA play, the junior quarterback finished second in completions with 27.2 per game and fourth in total passing, averaging 314.9 yards per game. A quarterback rating of 153.7 also made Hoffman the third most efficient signal-caller in I-AA. In his two seasons with the Quakers, Hoffman has already set many Penn football records, most notably the career passing record. Hoffman has thrown for 5,542 yards thus far in his Penn career, shattering Jimmy McGeehan's old mark of 3,954. The 6'5'', 235-pound quarterback also holds the career record for touchdowns (38), completions (472) and attempts (722). Hoffman is the sixth Penn football player to win the Bushnell Cup, which was established in 1970 and is voted on by the eight league coaches. He is, however, the first Penn QB to take home the award and the only junior for the Red and Blue to win it in the cup's 30-year history. Indianapolis Colts fullback Jim Finn was the last member of the Red and Blue to win the Bushnell cup after his outstanding senior campaign of 1998. Joining Hoffman on the All-Ivy first team were tight end Ben Zagorski and kicker Jason Feinberg, who now owns the Penn career scoring record with 218 points. On the other side of the ball, defensive tackles Ed and John Galan were honored with first team All-Ivy selections. The brothers were joined by senior cornerback Joey Alofaituli.