Maloney to train with Hawks The Atlanta Hawks have signed former Penn guard Matt Maloney to their training camp roster. Maloney may be a bit of a longshot to make the team, though. The 1995 Penn graduate is one of 18 players invited to the Hawks camp, but NBA teams are only allowed to carry 12 players on the active roster. Making the odds even longer is the fact that 12 Hawks players are already under guaranteed contracts going into camp. Atlanta general manager Pete Babcock did tell the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that "trades are not entirely out of the question." Maloney played three years for the Quakers, transferring to Penn after spending his freshman year at Vanderbilt, and still holds Penn records for three-pointers in a game, a season and career. Maloney was an important member of the early '90s Penn teams that went undefeated for three seasons in a row. Maloney, who was named the Ivy League Player of the Year for the 1994-95, teamed with Jerome Allen to form one of the best backcourts in Quakers history. Maloney helped lead the Red and Blue to their last win in the NCAA Tournament, an upset over Nebraska in the first round in '94. In the pros, Maloney played a little over two seasons for the Houston Rockets, and spent last season as a backup point guard for the Chicago Bulls. Maloney's most productive NBA season was during the 1996-97 season, when he started all 82 games for the Rockets, averaged 29 minutes and 3.7 assists per game, and shot just over 40 percent from beyond the arc. -- Sebastian Stockman