Two agents from the State Police Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement spoke and answered questions last night in Meyerson Hall in an effort to promote awareness of alcohol issues and related student responsibilities. The LCE is the branch of the state police which deals with the enforcement of liquor control laws, specifically as they pertain to the importation of alcohol into Pennsylvania, as well as the possession and consumption of such beverages by minors. The agents, Lloyd Knight and Mike DiCardona, spoke for approximately 1 1/2 hours, discussing their roles as agents as well as the rights of those facing citation for alcohol-related infractions. While the discussion was generally well-received by those present, most of the 15 students in attendance did not come to learn about how these issues affect the greater student population. Rather, they attended to find out about the possible repercussions of their own Spring Fling-related actions or those of their friends. "I was pleased with the way the presentation went, but I wish there was more student participation," said College junior Alvena Galaria, president of the Drug and Alcohol Resource Team, which organized the the presentation. Galaria added that the majority of attendees seemed to be concerned solely with "a citation they received or their friends received and they thought they didn't deserve." Knight and DiCardona, each of whom has spent considerable time enforcing alcohol laws within the confines of West Philadelphia, answered questions regarding personal legal rights -- including the right to accept or refuse a Breathalyzer test -- and the effects of signing or not signing an alcohol citation. The agents explained that it makes no difference which option one chooses as the citation will carry the same penalty. "I think it went very well. It humanized the LCE and helped people see them as the police, an equal people," said Carolin Helbing, a second-year student in the Graduate School of Education and an intern in the Office of Student Health Education. Others shared different views regarding the agents' comments. Abel Avila, a College sophomore, offered a mixed response to the presentation. "I thought that it was cool what they did tonight," he said. "But I think what they did this weekend was harsh on certain students." All in attendance were in agreement, however, that the agents were straightforward in their concern for maintaining public safety and protecting collective rights. Engineering senior Matthew Van Kouwenberg commented that "it was great that they came out here to try to explain some of the laws." Students in attendance said that their perceptions of the LCE were somewhat changed following the presentation. Rather than displaying the tough, enforcing side of the LCE, the presentation helped show that, in the words of Knight, "everybody is trying to show they care by exercising some control."