Gordie Ernst is a graduate of Brown University, but he will be making his mark on another Ivy League school very soon. On Monday, the Penn Athletic Department announced that Ernst, an assistant coach at Northwestern, will fill the men's tennis coaching spot vacated by Gene Miller after last season. "We are very pleased that Gordie Ernst will be joining our staff," Penn Athletic Director Steve Bilsky said. "His enthusiasm, playing experience and Ivy League background made him an extremely attractive candidate. We look forward to a very bright future under his direction." Ernst will bring much experience, both as a player and a coach, to the Quakers. A 1990 graduate, Ernst was two-sport star at Brown. In addition to earning three letters in tennis, Ernst was four-time letter winner in hockey and the MVP of the hockey team during his senior year. Ernst has enjoyed tremendous success in both tennis and hockey. As a high school student, he was ranked 38th nationally and second in New England in the boys 18-and-under division in tennis. He was also selected by the Minnesota North Stars in the 10th round of the 1985 National Hockey League draft. These accomplishments earned him Athlete of the Year awards from the Rhode Island Press Association and The Providence Journal Bulletin. After graduating from Brown, Ernst played tennis on the ATP International Circuit for three years and still competes in professional tournaments. Before coaching at Northwestern, Ernst also coached at the Harry Hopman Tennis Academy at The Saddlebrook Resort in Wesley Chapel, Fla., where he worked with current pro players Jennifer Capriati and Sarg Sargisian. Last season, Ernst helped coach Northwestern to an 18-4 record and second place in the Big Ten. At one point last year, Northwestern ranked 13th nationally. Ernst hopes to translate some of the success he had at Northwestern to his current job with the Red and Blue, who finished 9-13 with a 3-6 record in the EITA last season. "Being selected as the head coach at Penn is just a great feeling," Ernst said. "I feel Penn is the best combination of athletics and academics in the Ivy League and I am very excited to be a part of it."