Franny Murray, a member fo the famed "Destiny Backfield," passed away Sunday at 82. On May 16, Francis "Franny" Murray was inducted into the Penn Athletic Hall of Fame -- and it would be the last athletic honor Murray would receive. On Sunday, the 82-year old former Penn football star died at his home in Boca Raton, Fla., of complications from a stroke suffered four years ago. From 1934 to 1936, quarterback Murray was a cornerstone of the Penn football team. Along with Lew Elverson, Bill Kurlish and Ed Warwick, Murray was part of the legendary "Destiny Backfield." In addition to signal-calling, however, Murray was also a member of the defensive secondary, a kicker and a punter. He enjoyed success at all positions. During the 1936 season, when Penn was a national football power, Murray had one of the best games of his career in a 27-7 victory over Michigan. In that game, Murray passed for one touchdown, rushed for two more scores and kicked three extra points. On the other side of the ball, he intercepted four passes. His punting in that game, however, may have been the most impressive performance. Murray, who perfected the coffin-corner punt, placed the ball inside Michigan's 12-yard line six times. The Michigan game, though, was not the only highlight for Murray in 1936. Against Penn State, he averaged 67 yards a punt, including one that travelled 80 yards. "He loved football, and he loved Penn," said Elizabeth Murray, Franny Murray's wife of 57 years. Football may have been the sport in which Murray made his mark, but it was not the only one in which he excelled. During his junior and senior years, Murray also captained the Penn basketball team. After graduating from Penn, Murray went on to host his own nightly sports radio show before returning to the gridiron during the first few years of the National Football League. Murray spent the 1939 and 1940 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, punting and playing halfback in the city where he went to college. But his NFL career would be short-lived. In 1944, Murray was named executive director of the Philadelphia Inquirer Charities by publisher Walter Annenberg. He served in this capacity for several years before returning to his alma mater. From 1950 through 1953, Murray served as Penn's athletic director. After leaving Penn, he performed in numerous public relations positions until his retirement. He also was involved in many community and charity activities. The last member of the "Destiny Backfield" to die, Murray will be remembered as a great man, as well as a great athlete. "He was the greatest guy I ever knew," friend Walter Daly said. In addition to his wife, Murray is survived by two daughters and three grandchildren. Funeral services were held at St. Joan of Arc Roman Catholic Church in Boca Raton.