Irvine Auditorium closed over the summer for extensive renovations, as construction of the new Perelman Quadrangle shifted into high gear. The Perelman Quad -- named for University Trustee and alumnus Ronald Perelman, who pledged $20 million to the project --Ewill connect College, Houston, Williams and Logan halls and Irvine Auditorium to create 85,827 square feet of meeting rooms, study lounges, student organization offices and performing arts spaces. The renovated Irvine Auditorium will feature European-style seating, with no aisles, and entrances from the wings of the facility instead of from the rear. It will also have a new sound system designed to make the facility better suited to the differing needs of the Curtis Organ, speeches, and musical performances. The side balconies will be removed and a sound-proof practice space will be built above the stage. Additionally, Irvine's basement will house both practice and office space for performing arts groups, as well as dressing rooms and space for set construction and costume design. And the parking lot next to Irvine will also be transformed into a park similar to College Green. Irvine -- which is scheduled to reopen in December 1998 -- is the second of the four buildings to be closed for construction. The exterior of Logan Hall was recently renovated at a cost of $8.8 million. When the current $9.2 million interior renovation is completed, the building will include a 330-seat auditorium, a 150-seat recital hall and a ground floor art gallery. It is scheduled to reopen in December 1997. Williams and Houston halls will close next summer and reopen in December 1999. Houston's ground floor will contain a new cafe, browsing library and reading lounge. On its lower level, the game room will be expanded and some retail shops will be replaced by a large kitchen to service the Hall of Flags. Additionally, a two-story glass atrium designed for 24-hour reading and quiet study will be built between Logan and Williams halls.