Penn football coach Al Bagnoli says the QB position is still up in the air. Saugerties, N.Y. Quakers coach Al Bagnoli led his team through a modified scrimmage April 15, bringing to an end the team's 12 spring practices, which were held sporadically after spring break to accommodate other team's needs for Franklin Field. "It's a different evaluation," Bagnoli said, weighing the significance of spring practice against the fall. "The fall gives you an opportunity to confirm what your suspicions were coming out of the spring or to give kids a second chance to make changes and win jobs." · No position attracts more interest than quarterback, and Penn is no exception. The Quakers have lost Brian Russell, who transferred out of Penn, and opening day 1996 starter Steve Teodecki, who graduated. On paper, that leaves the position to junior Matt Rader, who took about half of the snaps for Division I Duke last year. But Bagnoli claims Tom MacLeod, who started four games last year, and rising sophomore Brandon Carson are still in the mix. Bagnoli says all three are doing "reasonably well" and describes Rader's transition to the Penn system "smooth." He has also been impressed by MacLeod's offseason weight training -- one of Bagnoli's sticking points with MacLeod in the past. "I feel like there's always room for improvement, but all things considered, I feel good about my performance this spring," MacLeod said. Still, many expect Rader to emerge, including the 6'4'' Yardley, Pa., native. "I think I've played well enough to solidify a starting spot," Rader said. In any case, expect Penn to pass more, as Bagnoli will draw on experienced passers whether Rader or MacLeod wins the job. "We're going to try to get it opened up a little bit, more like a few years ago," said the sixth-year coach, whose team leaned heavily on departing First Team All-Ivy tailback Jasen Scott. "Just more wide open, more four- and five-receiver sets." · While a football assistant coaching position isn't exactly a Supreme Court justiceship, Penn has felt even more turnover than usual this season. The post-Carm Cozza era at Yale will have a Quakers flavor, as Rick Flanders goes from secondary coach to defensive coordinator of the Elis, and Duane Brooks makes the jump from coordinator of football operations to defensive line coach. Their replacements are Abbott Burrell and Jerome James, Jr., respectively. Also on the move is Ed Foley, the Penn tight ends coach who has moved to Jacksonville to become offensive coordinator of the new program. John Reagan fills his void. Jonathan Michaels has taken Louis Brunelli's place on the Penn staff. "They all have different ideas and it's good to get some new viewpoints," Bagnoli said. · In its continuing effort to blur the line between running backs and the defensive secondary, Penn has shuffled several people to other sides of the ball. First among them is Bruce Rossignol, who came to Penn as a running back, was switched to and started at strong safety last season and returns to offense for 1997. Mel Alexander, who worked out as a defensive back as a freshman in 1996 is joining Rossignol in the Quakers backfield. The favorite to take Scott's place as featured back remains Jason McGee, a rising junior, whose meager eight carries last season are actually the highest total of a returning Quaker. "I feel pretty comfortable with the offense," said McGee, brushing aside any notion of inexperience on the basis of practice reps over the past few years. What that means for the defense is junior-to-be Jim Finn's move to safety is permanent. He'll be joined by another returning starter, 1997 captain John Bishop, in the secondary, while myriad others fight for spots in an area that needs improvement. Neither Rossignol (back) nor Finn (shoulder) has practiced this spring. · The defensive line was the anchor of the Penn team a year ago, a distinction which may shift to linebackers this fall. In addition to returning Second Team All-Ivy pick Darren McDonald, Tim Gage will return for a fifth season after a foot injury sidelined him in 1996. Throw in senior Mark Van Meter and another 1996 casualty, Brian Hamilton, and playing time could be scarce. "We're very fortunate. Timmy Gage came back and really has done a nice job providing some senior leadership," Bagnoli said. "Darren McDonald is having a nice spring and Mark Van Meter? that should be one of the strengths of our team." "If there's any thing I've learned this spring, it's that competition really, really makes you play better," said Gage, who by all accounts is fully healthy. · Rader's transition to life at Penn has gone pretty well so far. The biggest problem? Philadelphia's northern climate doesn't agree with his allergies? Penn's two-sport athletes, including West Virginia transfer defensive back Glen Ambrosius, who plays third base for the baseball team, have missed almost all the spring football work. "You can't hold it against them. It's part of the philosophy we deal with," Bagnoli said? Carson may be more than just a third quarterback for Penn. His athleticism tempts Bagnoli to emulate another Pennsylvania quarterback, multi-dimensional Pittsburgh Steeler Kordell "Slash" Stewart. "He's our version of 'Slash.' He's a quarterback, he's a wide receiver, he's a running back," Bagnoli said.