In Little Rock, Arklk Clinton backersIn Little Rock, Arklk Clinton backersanticipate a Democratic victory The phone has been ringing off the hook all week at the Little Rock, Ark., headquarters for Clinton/Gore '96. Platforms, press risers and campaign signs sprang up downtown yesterday as growing numbers of Clinton officials and press corps members arrived. As the city gears up for the president's Election Day visit, the community exudes excitement and pride. "Without any question, people certainly are excited," Little Rock resident Mary Peckham said. "People are very proud of him -- even the people that don't like him very much." Beginning the day in New Hampshire -- site of his 1992 primary comeback, Clinton hit Ohio, Kentucky, Iowa and South Dakota yesterday before arriving in his home state of Arkansas at 1:45 this morning. In Little Rock, downtown hotels have been besieged by White House and press personnel, as three 747 jets brought in roughly 1,000 cabinet members, White House officials and Clinton supporters last night. Little Rock's popular downtown hotel, the Doubletree, is completely booked, housing the Clinton/Gore advance team and almost 100 rooms for the press, according to Doubletree General Manager John Charles. "It is pretty much the same all over town," Charles said. "There are approximately 1,000 people coming in [from the Clinton camp] and they will not leave until about 2 a.m. after the election." Clinton/Gore volunteers have been working overtime to prepare for the big day, with half of its membership working to "get out the vote" and the rest preparing for the rally. Volunteer Patricia Morrow said she has been a friend of Clinton's since 1974, when her husband and Clinton were on the faculty of the University of Arkansas Law School. "It was very slow until the convention," Morrow said. "After that, everything started popping and we have been working 10-hour days or longer ever since." There is concern within the Clinton camp that the president's double-digit lead may translate into lower voter turnout among Little Rock's Democrats, Harrelson said. Clinton/Gore and the Coordinated Campaign for Democrats '96 have spent the last two weeks concentrating volunteer efforts on encouraging voter participation, said Devon Cockrell, a field researcher for Coordinated Campaign. "The policies of the Democratic Party have always helped my family," Cockrell said. "Their policies allowed me to go to college -- I did not have to work on a farm like my dad or pick cotton like my mom? We are poor state with a small budget and [Clinton] worked hard to make education a priority." Despite local excitement, some residents are wary of the negative press that Whitewater and the Clinton administration have brought to Arkansas, according to Ben Fry, radio station manager for Little Rock's KLRE/KUAR.