The resignation of AlumniThe resignation of AlumniPublications CommitteeThe resignation of AlumniPublications CommitteeChairperson Sam MaitinThe resignation of AlumniPublications CommitteeChairperson Sam Maitinspeaks volumes aboutThe resignation of AlumniPublications CommitteeChairperson Sam Maitinspeaks volumes abouteditorial independence forThe resignation of AlumniPublications CommitteeChairperson Sam Maitinspeaks volumes abouteditorial independence forcampus publications.The resignation of AlumniPublications CommitteeChairperson Sam Maitinspeaks volumes abouteditorial independence forcampus publications.___________________________ The whispers have gotten louder since Lyle's departure, and may have come to a crescendo this month, with the resignation of Sam Maitin, chairperson of the Alumni Publications Committee. Maitin's announcement follows resignations by History Professor Michael Zuckerman and Communications Professor Emeritus Robert Shayon, similarly influential committee members. All three men, respected for their contributions to their fields and knowledgeable about journalism, pleaded with University President Judith Rodin and General Alumni Society President Elsie Sterling Howard to allow a group of alumni who are professional journalists to share oversight of the Gazette with administrators. But the same administrators, unwilling to risk offending wealthy alumni by letting the magazine's staff continue to have free rein over what is printed, refused the committee's offer. Undoubtedly, Shayon, Zuckerman and Maitin felt they had to do something -- anything -- to show the University community what's really going on in Development and Alumni Relations. We applaud their decisions, and hope they will not be silent if prior review continues, despite a lack of official involvement in the governing of campus publications.