In past years, fall semester usually meant a flurry of rush activities for the InterFraternity Council. But even with the IFC's new spring rush policy, the fall will still be a busy time for fraternities and potential rushees. A number of Greek organizations are holding informal rushes geared at upperclassmen this fall, according to IFC Chairperson David Treat. "We're definitely doing it," said Keoni Fox, rush chairperson for the Beta Theta Pi fraternity. "We believe there is a group of quality guys out there who didn't get a chance last year." BTP's rush events begin Saturday morning at their chapter house at 39th and Spruce streets with a pre-football game party open to all interested upperclassmen. Four or five other fraternities have also scheduled upcoming rush events, according to Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Acting Director Scott Reikofski. IFC President David Treat said this year's fall rush is quite different from a regular rush. "Traditionally the upperclass rush is a very informal process [because] it's not structured around specific events," Treat said. "It's more structured around the brothers meeting the individuals who want to rush." He added that because the process involves upperclassmen, it is often quick and efficient. "Usually what happens is the upperclassmen know exactly what houses they want to go to and the houses know exactly what people they want to take," Treat said. "So it's not much of a rush." According to Reikofski, fall rush requires no special registration and usually involves people the brothers already know. "If people are on the fence, this is a way for them to make the commitment and pledge," he said. He added that any upperclassmen who have questions about the process are encouraged to stop by his office on the first floor of High Rise North for more information. All bids must be reported to OFSA by October 6, Reikofski said. And as with all social functions, they must abide by regulations set up by the IFC, University policies, and guidelines outlined by national chapters. Reikofski said fraternities hold fall rush for a variety of reasons -- usually to bring quality members into the chapter and to even out the size of particular classes. "One of the things that is important is to create a balance," he said. He added that none of the chapters was forced this year to find new members in order to fulfill quotas. "I haven't heard of any houses who are in desperate need of members," he said. Fox added that Beta focuses on quality instead of quantity in its rush process and is not aiming at a specific number of new pledges from fall rush. And Treat said many chapters hold fall rush in accordance with the policies of their individual national chapters, while others "find that after going through the first rush and pledge process they feel like they want more candidates." Other Greek groups are also holding rush functions in the fall. According to Panhellenic Council President Lissette Calderon, all eight of the University's sororities are planning to participate in an informal rush. "It's not only for the new freshmen," she said. "Sophomores are also welcome." Although the schedule is tentative, sorority rush events are slated to include a Greekfest on Hill Field on October 7, which will allow all the sorority representatives to meet prospective members before the official rush begins in the first weeks of spring semester.