A Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science student was a victim of attempted rape Thursday on the 4000 block of Baltimore Avenue at about 10 a.m., according to Victim Support and Special Services Director Maureen Rush. The 23 year-old student was accosted by a man with a knife, who attempted to abduct her into an alley way. But by continuously screaming, she was able to get the attention of six carpet layers, who came to her assistance, Rush said. The carpet layers became involved in an altercation with the 22 year-old assailant, during which one of the "good samaritans" was stabbed in the armpit. Then the suspect attempted to flee the scene, but the carpet layers chased after him and Philadelphia police arrested the suspect. The Pharmacy student received minor injuries and is recovering "okay," said Tim Michener, director of public safety at the College of Pharmacy and Science. But the carpet layer who was stabbed sustained more serious injuries," Rush said. The assailant was charged with multiple counts, including robbery, aggravated assault, simple assault and criminal attempt to rape, Rush added. He remains in custody at the Philadelphia Detention Center with bail set at $50,000, according to University Police Detective Gary Heller. Heller added that the suspect has other previous arrests. Michener said he was surprised by the time of the attempted rape. But Rush said the attitude that crime only happens at night is wrong. "People assume things like rape only happen in the middle of the night," she said. "That's a misconception." Rush added that students must be aware of their surroundings at all times, whether it is day or night. Michener said he was very pleased with the community participation in the incident. "It's really nice to see the community get involved and apprehend the criminal," he added. "We're happy to see that this one had a happy ending." Rush had several recommendations for how to deal with a rape situation. She said individuals should follow the example of the victim in this attempted rape and make as much noise as possible. If the victim is able to break free from the assailant, they should find the nearest blue phone and dial 511, she added. And the University has several resources for these individuals who are victims, or even near-victims, of sexual assault. Victim Support, Penn Women's Center, University Counseling and Phycological Services and the Philadelphia Sex Crimes Unit are all helpful sources of support for victims of sexual assault, Rush said. She added that programs like Rape Aggression Defense and safety seminars given by the University enable people to have a better chance at fending off potential assailants.