Shawnee High School '93 Marlton, N.J. After an unprecedented three re-arguments before the Commonwealth Court, a seven-judge panel ruled in favor of the University and the City of Philadelphia in the long-standing Mayor's Scholarship lawsuit. The vote was four to three. The decision upheld Judge Nelson Diaz's original decision in favor of the University and the city in February 1993. The Public Interest Law Center has vowed to appeal the decision to the state Supreme Court. If the decision is upheld, it will clear the way for the University to award 125 Mayor's Scholarships to University-bound Philadelphia residents over the course of four years. PILCOP had argued that the University was obligated to provide 125 scholarships each year. University General Counsel Shelley Green said she was very pleased with the court's decision. "I'm delighted with the outcome," Green said. "I believe the University's position, and I am pleased the Commonwealth Court has agreed with it." The dispute over the Mayor's Scholarship agreement between the city and the University has been in litigation for the last three years. A 1977 city ordinance required the University to award a set number of scholarships to Philadelphia residents in exchange for rent-free land from the city. PILCOP sued the University in 1991, claiming that the 1977 agreement provided for 125 scholarships per year, for a total of 500 scholarships. The University contends the total should be set at 125. PILCOP attorney Michael Churchill said the Commonwealth Court's decision will have a negative effect on Philadelphia students. "It's a tough day for the students of Philadelphia," Churchill said. "At a time when Philadelphia is trying to improve education and stimulate students, the loss will have a big impact." But Churchill also said he is pleased with the University's effort to expand its recruiting in Philadelphia and lauded the improvement of the Mayor's Scholarship in general. According to University spokesperson Barbara Beck, a 1992 agreement between the University and the city reaffirmed the University's obligation to Philadelphia students. The agreement also substantially enhanced the Mayor's Scholarship financial aid packages. Beck said the average Mayor's Scholarship package includes $18,806 in grants from the University. Mayor's Scholars are selected by the Mayor's Scholarship Committee, whose members are appointed by Mayor Ed Rendell.