Philadelphia has been transformed into a life-size smorgasbord, as the city's annual "The Book and The Cook" celebration continues today. The event, in its 11th year, brings together cookbook writers, restaurant owners and gourmands from across the city and the country, and also features several local restaurants in its festivities. One of the most popular of the annual events is a beer tasting -- already sold out -- to be held at the University Museum. "It's mission is to communicate the quality of the Philadelphia hospitality industry on a year round basis," Book and Cook event producer Judy Faye said. "We are a savvy, sophisticated restaurant community capable of entertaining and attracting on a year round basis. "The restaurants become theaters," Faye added. "The restaurants come through like gangbusters and do a fabulous job with it." Beginning yesterday and continuing through Sunday, city restaurants and the Philadelphia Convention Center will host some of the finest chefs and cookbook writers in the country. To start the festival, the Palladium will be serving Mexican recipes from the movie Like Water for Chocolate while International House shows the movie on the big screen. And Michael Jackson, the "world's leading expert on beer," according to Director of University Museum Catering Bruce Nichols, will be the featured beer expert, offering samples and brewing workshops. Over 150 beers will be on tap, so to speak. "It's really going to be a global beer-fest," Nichols said. "It's become the most popular event in the whole weekend. There is a really strong connection with the University Museum and beer." Most beers are from microbreweries, so, according to Nichols, "it's not an event for Rolling Rock or Bud." The White Dog Cafe will be featuring Vietnamese chef Nicole Routhier, who will cook dishes from her cookbook with chefs from White Dog. In addition, the restaurant will show slides of Vietnam from 6 to 8 p.m. White Dog co-owner Judy Wicks said she expects to serve between 250 and 300 dinners. "It's a way of promoting Philadelphia as a restaurant city," Wicks said. Bucks County Nut and Coffee is going to have a coffee brewing and tasting seminar on Saturday at 1 p.m. Owners Cathy and Roger Owens will discuss buying, selling and roasting coffee and will teach how to operate home cappuccino machines. The "coffee talk" costs $15 and reservations are required. "We're the largest roaster in the Philadelphia area, but people don't know our name," said Susie Hesler, manager of Bucks County Coffee. "We want to get our name out." Zocalo restaurant will have chef Joyce LaFray on hand to cook recipes from her Cuban cookbook, Thursday and Friday evenings. Other events include The Cook and The Book Fair, which is being held at the Convention Center on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The event will feature free samples, cookbooks and cooking accessories. Tickets must be purchased, and Nichols expects 15,000 to 20,000 people to attend. Reading Terminal will have a 17th-century representation of a feast on Friday and Saturday from 12:30 to 4 p.m. In addition, there will be tours of the Italian Market and Chinatown until Sunday.