Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) officially threw his hat into the ring yesterday, becoming the fifth Republican officially to declare his candidacy for president of the United States. "I [announce my presidency] humbly, in the presence of the monuments of America's great presidents, especially Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party," Specter, a University alumnus, said. Specter, who is Jewish, is generally considered a moderate Republican who believes in abortion rights, a view that separates him from many in his party who are anti-abortion. "There are those in our party who would lead us down a different path, and squander this unique moment in our nation's history by using our political capital to pursue a radical social agenda which would end a women's right to choose and mandate school prayer," Specter said. One of Specter's more controversial views is his proposal for a 20 percent flat tax rate for both individuals and businesses. Specter is entering the presidential arena after a long history of public service. During his political career, Specter played a large role in the Warren Commission, and was Philadelphia's District Attorney for 12 years. More recently, however, Specter came under fire for his role as a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and his questioning of Anita Hill during the infamous Clarence Thomas nomination hearings. In addition, Specter's wife, Joan, is a Philadelphia city councilwoman. Reaction to Specter's declaration of his candidacy was mixed among professors and students yesterday. Political Science Professor Marissa Golden said the fact that Specter is a moderate is an asset rather than a liability. "I think he's a longshot because I don't think this country will elect a Jewish president," Golden said. "That is his biggest liability. "[But] I think the press is wrong to discount him as not being a serious candidate," she added. Golden said Specter's largest challenge will be the initial primaries in Iowa and New Hampshire. She speculated that he will not do well in either state and that that could harm him. In addition, Golden said the primaries attract a more extreme voter than the general elections, which could potentially impede Specter's chances. College freshman and College Republicans member Dan Silvers agreed, saying the odds are against Specter in the tough primary season. "I didn't see him as terribly viable, but especially now that Pete Wilson has entered?[Specter] should add something interesting to the debate," he said. Other Republican candidates include Texas Sen. Phil Gramm, former Tennessee Gov. Lamar Alexander, political commentator Pat Buchanan and former Reagan administrator Alan Keyes. Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole of Kansas and Indiana Sen. Richard Lugar are also expected to enter the race in April. And California Gov. Pete Wilson has announced his plans to enter the fray in May. The Associated Press contributed to this story.