The Lippincott Library will undergo major renovations beginning this summer, thanks in large part to a $750,000 donation from the Safra family's Republic National Bank of New York. The gift will provide funding for the Safra Business Research Center, which will comprise the majority of the library's renovation efforts. According to a statement released today by the Wharton School, the Safra family "has a long history of involvement with the University of Pennsylvania and the Wharton School, including sending many of its family members and employees to Penn and Wharton." The family and the Republic National Bank of New York have supported a variety of projects at Wharton. The research center will encompass all activities of the west wing of the second floor of the Van Pelt Library, according to Director of Library Development Adam Corson-Finnerty. Lippincott Library Director Michael Halperin said all public service functions will be moved to the second floor. "In doing this, we're going to triple the number of remote-access work stations and CD-Rom stations," Halperin said. In addition, Halperin said Lippincott will be contained in the west wing of the second and third floors of Van Pelt once the renovations are completed. The library is currently spread out over three floors of the northwest wing of the library. According to Corson-Finnerty, the renovations will be extensive. "It's consolidation and redesign, and complete upgrading," Corson-Finnerty said. He added that the renovations will take into account the important role of computers for today's business students. To that end, the research center will contain "wet" stations, where students can use laptop computers. Wharton Dean Thomas Gerrity said in the statement that these renovations will expand students' opportunities to tap into the information superhighway. "Access to information, particularly through rapidly expanding electronic resources, plays a vital role in educating our students and enhancing the academic leadership of our faculty," Gerrity said. The renovations also include plans to create five group study rooms, where students can study together, Corson-Finnerty said. Each of these rooms will have glass walls, a chalk board and computer links. The technological improvements will be combined with aesthetic ones as well. Halperin said Lippincott will be "much more inviting" with the addition of new carpeting and new furniture. "It would be a modern corporate appearance to go with the other Wharton buildings," Halperin said, adding that he is enthusiastic about the renovations. "The library will function better because the services will be coordinated in a way that they can't be now," he said. Halperin also said functions currently located on the second floor will be moved to the first floor for approximately six months, beginning in the summer.