This is just the beginning. According to University administrators, the proposals to create the Perelman Quadrangle represent the first step in an overall review of all University capital projects. University President Judith Rodin and Provost Stanley Chodorow announced in late September plans to completely re-examine the Revlon Center proposals, as part of an overall consideration of all capital planning efforts. And the Perelman Quad is the first product of that extensive review, Vice President for Facilities Management Arthur Gravina said last night. "This is for consideration," he said. "It considers the feasibility of using existing facilities to meet the needs of a campus center." The proposal includes using Houston, Williams and Logan Halls, along with Irvine Auditorium to create a full student center with meeting rooms, performing arts space, a twenty-four hour study lounge, student organization offices and an expanded game room. Associate Vice Provost for University Life Larry Moneta said the student center project had enormous importance within the capital planning review -- although it was brought to the forefront sooner than the administration had wished. "I think that it might have been the administration's preference to stall the Revlon decision even further until every piece of the mosaic is put together," he said last night. "But there was urgency on the part of the students and it was a courageous decision to deal with this issue in advance of the complete mosaic." The capital planning review and the decision on the proposed new student center reflected the debate between constructing new buildings and renovating older ones, Gravina said. In the case of the student center, Gravina said his department began considering the variety of options available for the older buildings on Locust Walk and Spruce Street. The Perelman Quad is feasible within the constraints of those buildings, and provides a purpose similar to their original purposes, he said. "The plans put on the table for discussion are appropriate to meet the needs of the University community and judicially use the buildings as they were originally designed," he said. Gravina said a study into capital planning is a long process, even after the administration releases proposals or ideas. "This is a project that will go through scrutiny as well," he said. "You have to decide what it is going to take to operate and maintain a facility after it is built as well." Acting Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum said the capital planning review will include research into other areas of campus, including Superblock and the northern section of campus where the Revlon Center was to be located. "We are considering developing those areas for more student programming," she said. McCoullum added that within general student programming, administrators are concentrating on the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, the residences and the various schools. Once Rodin and Chodorow decide on the plans and ideas they hope to eventually complete, they will begin to prioritize current and future capital projects, Gravina said. Both officials have said that a student center takes top priority. Administrators also said the 21st Century Project on Undergraduate Education will play a large role in the determination of the future of the University's capital planning.