and Randi Feigenbaum The University Council unanimously approved the 1995-1996 University calendar last night which included several changes proposed by the Student Committee for Undergraduate Education. Under the new schedule, the fall and spring semesters will each include four reading days attached to a weekend, SCUE Chairperson and Engineering junior Matthew Kratter said last night. Kratter told Council that more reading days are necessary to optimize student performance on final exams. "The type of studying that students have to do at the end of a semester is different than the studying they do during the rest of the semester," he said. "We've been able to increase the time that students have for studying at the end of the semester." The calendar also increases the number of teaching days in the fall semester from 64 to 67, and decreases the spring semester's teaching days from 70 to 69. Originally, SCUE proposed equalizing the two semesters at 67 days apiece. The Faculty Senate expressed concern about the plan, focusing on the four days of cancelled classes this semester, Kratter said. SCUE representatives then accepted a compromise of two extra days in the spring semester. The Faculty Senate voted in favor of the proposed calendar on March 2. Under the plan, classes may begin before Labor Day, Faculty Senate Chairperson Gerald Porter said at Council. Several students and faculty members voiced concerns at the meeting about the early start. They said problems could occur with vacations and sublet rent. "I'm a little concerned that this proposal may have a negative impact on summer jobs," Former Faculty Senate Chairperson David Hildebrand said. And Council moderator and Political Science professor William Harris said the issue is a "thorny" one. But SCUE members said the worries are unfounded. Council also passed a motion to look into the issue of faculty advising. The Commission on Strengthening the Community's preliminary report alleged that the advising system needs improvement. Porter said "the role of the professor has changed." "One-to-one [advising] simply strikes them as a luxury they can't afford," he added. "I would urge us to be a little skeptical of [this proposal]."