The Office of Affirmative Action has named an interim director to replace Joann Mitchell, who left the post yesterday. Sharon Harris, who is currently the assistant director of the office, will act as director until a permanent replacement is found. The Office of Affirmative Action is responsible for monitoring the equal opportunity programs at the University and maintaining compliance with the regulations. The office also provides support services, resources and accommodations for people with disabilities. Linda Hyatt, executive director of the president's office and supervisor to the Office of Affirmative Action, said she thinks Harris is a good choice. "She's a superb colleague and as assistant director of the Office of Affirmative Action, she has a sound grasp of the work of the office and the needs of the University," Hyatt said. "I think she will move confidently and quickly to fill the position of interim director." Harris said she is interested in "continuing the progress" that Mitchell made in the office. "I think that [Mitchell] brought a lot of visibility to the office, she forced a lot of goodwill at the University on the issues of diversity of pluralism," Harris said. "She was an excellent role model." Hyatt said a national search for a permanent director is underway, no time table has been set. "We would hope to move forward as quickly as possible but we won't lose sight of the objective of finding the best possible person for the job," she said. She added she is in the "consultation" process of talking to people within the University about the job. Mitchell, who will begin today as Princeton University's associate provost and affirmative action director, said leaving the University is a "bittersweet" experience. "This will be an exceptional opportunity for me to grow, but it's hard to leave some of the people who have been such good colleagues and strong supporters in the past years," she said. "We intend to maintain ties and maybe create some joint programs so that both of the institutions can benefit from some of the relationships that already exist." Harris came to the University in 1971 as a student in the College for Women, and held various posts before becoming assistant director of affirmative action in 1987. She said she is not a candidate in the national search and hopes to return to her assistant director position after her term as interim director is completed.