For nearly every member of the University community, there is a different opinion regarding Spike & Lee's controversial movie, Malcolm X which opens today. "I'm hoping that it is indeed going to be a very good film that portrays Malcolm in the favorable light that I've viewed him over the years," said James Gray, tri-chair of the African American Association. "I & hope the movie will not merely & show the metamorphosis that he went through, but will show the & giant that he became." Gray said many Americans do not "know" Malcolm X, and that per - haps the movie will help to further expand America's understanding of him. "The great books on Malcolm & have not been written and our & knowledge is rather limited," said Gray. And, contrary to media specula - tion, Gray said he does not think there will be violence surround - ing the movie. "I'm not expecting any violence whatsoever unless some young & people start breaking into libraries and bookstores," he said. The Ritz 5 movie theater at 214 Walnut Street is not anticipating a violent reaction to the film, either. Barbara Klukiewski, manager at & the Ritz theater, said that they had approximately 60 Philadelphia po - lice officers preview the movie and that the response was very positive. "We held interviews afterward & and the reviews were very nice. They said they would recommend it to their families and friends," Klu - kiewski said. "It is a documentary about a man's life and a good & movie." The movie will also be showing at the Walnut Mall AMC theater on compus. Students have different expecta - tions concerning the content of the film. "I expect to see Spike Lee's inter - pretation of Malcolm's life. I don't necessarily expect to see my inter - pretation of it," said Martin Dias, a Wharton senior and president of & the Black Student League. "I do expect the movie to reach different audiences who have not been ex - posed to his life before." "I think it's going to be a very volatile movie. Spike Lee definitely has the ability to be shocking," said Mia Piggee, a College senior and president of the Bicultural Inter - greek Council. "I have a feeling & Spike is going to do justice to Mal - colm's life and surprise us." Stefan Blitz, Philadelphia's col - lege representative for Warner & Brothers and Temple Univeristy & senior, has already seen the film and thinks that it is not necessarily what people expect. "I think it's going to be a big sur - prise," Blitz said. "It's not a violent film -- it's a film that promotes racial harmony. It presents the & facts, but in an interesting light." No matter what their expecta - tions, many University members & are excited about tonight's release of Malcolm X. "I've heard about all the trouble that has gone into the production of it and I intend to see it," said Mi - chael Kennedy, a College junior. & "It's going to be an important film."