and JOSHUA GOLDWERT Liquor Control Enforcement officials this summer asked the University to provide them with PENNCards so they could enter student parties and potentially observe underage drinkers, Commissioner John Kuprevich said last night. The LCE rescinded their request in August, but Kuprevich said he would not have supplied the officers with the desired identification. "I don't think it would have been very effective anyway," he said. "I don't think that is the solution to any kind of problem . . . with alcohol." Kuprevich added he does not see a connection between University IDs and gaining access to student parties. At some parties people do not need PENNcards or can use IDs from other universities, Kuprevich said. Jeff Lawrence, a spokesperson for the LCE, said he did not know anything about the University's situation. He added that all LCE investigations are confidential. Lawrence also refused to confirm or deny the alleged presence of LCE agents at Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau fraternities this weekend. Lawrence did say, however, that the LCE investigates "speakeasies," which include parties where alcohol is served and admission is charged -- characteristics of many fraternity parties. Kuprevich said his philosophy on solving the problem surrounding the use of alcohol at the University is two-fold. He said he believes in coupling education with a "reasonable level" of enforcement. "We ought to be doing a lot of heavy programming with students," he said, adding he is in the process of trying to arrive at a consensus with the LCE about how large a component enforcement should be in solving the problem. "If they're willing to work with us and not just go out on the tangent of enforcement alone, I think that we have a chance of having a community that's a little bit safer," Kuprevich said. Kuprevich said the increased initiatives by LCE officials, including their request for PENNCards, came in the wake of the LCE's raid on Phi Kappa Psi fraternity last spring where officers issued citations for underage drinking and arrested one of the brothers. He said that the raid and arrests proved that there was a problem with illegal use of alcohol at the University. Kuprevich added that LCE officials gained access without student IDs. "If they want to get in they're going to get in," he said.