A combination of hard work and changing perceptions about engineering has contributed to large increases in undergraduate applications to the Engineering School for the past two years, administrators said last week. Early applications for the class of 1996 increased by 13 percent and regular applications rose by nearly 23 percent. And the Engineering School's matriculation rate for this year's incoming class increased by 27 percent. Sending videos to all applicants last year, inviting all female applicants to a "Women in Technology" day, and re-doing the undergraduate literature all contributed to the increase in matriculation and applications, said Engineering Dean Gregory Farrington. The video presents Engineering students talking candidly about their lives both in the Engineering school and at the University. The students, who are from all classes and fields of engineering, talk about the academic benefits of having access to large research facilities as well as the Wharton School and the School of Arts and Sciences. The students in the video also convey a sense of life outside the classroom by discussing the cultural benefits of the city and various on-campus activities. "Women in Technology" day, or WIT day as it is affectionately called, brings female engineering applicants to the University to spend a day talking with female students and professors about life at the University. Instituted last year, Undergraduate Dean John Keenan said it was a big success, bringing over 100 applicants from places as far away as Colorado. The purpose of WIT day is to increase the number of women matriculants. Since the percentage of women students in the class of 1995 is the highest ever at 20 percent, Keenan has booked President's Day for this year's WIT day. Redoing the undergraduate literature sent to all applicants may have contributed to the increase in Engineering applications -- as the old brochures included a picture of the Towne Building in the rain, Farrington said. He also noted that the Engineering School received more applications than the Wharton School, which he said was significant because there are many other undergraduate engineering programs than undergraduate business programs in the country. "It's a function of the perceptions of the career goals of the students. Historically, [admissions] has been very cyclical because of the perception of engineering," said Dean of Admissions Lee Stetson. He also noted that the Engineering School has been very aggressive in getting those accepted to matriculate. The school, he added, has also tried to make the process more personal by asking current students to write letters to those accepted. The increase in Engineering applications coincides with an increase in applications in all four undergraduate schools.