President Sheldon Hackney tomorrow will kick off a semester-long speaking series about issues facing the black community in America. And Connaissance, a student group which brings speakers to the University, will also host Danny Glover, featured in the film Lethal Weapon, early next month. Connaissance Chairperson Richard Smith said yesterday that Hackney, scheduled to speak tomorrow at 8 p.m. in the High Rise East rooftop lounge, will discuss the the role of universities in the community. Smith said Connaissance is hoping to attract "speakers who have a vision" for the series. "Our goal is to focus this semester on activities that will improve society," Smith added. Smith said the particular focus of this semester's lecture series will be the African-American community. Connaissance is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, and Smith said the group's first lecturer in 1963 spoke on black issues. He added that the group has come full circle this year. Glover, currently featured in Grand Canyon, will read some of Langston Hughes' works and speak about his own experiences on February 11 in Irvine Auditorium. Smith said Connaissance is currently setting up speaking engagements with "a prominent African-American woman," but refused to disclose the name. Connaissance will sponsor five speakers, including Hackney, spread throughout the semester. Hackney's 20-minute speech will be followed by a short question and answer session. In the past, the Connaissance Club has sponsored such guests as controversial Public Enemy rapper Chuck D, consumer watchdog Ralph Nader, and Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz.