Your brain has got to change automatically. You have to be come an urban animal. You have to stop thinking Ivy League. Students must take these steps, according to University Police Officer John Wylie, if they want to stay out of harm's way. Wylie gave students several safety tips and demonstrated simple self-defense moves in a 90-minute long seminar Tuesday in the High Rise North Rooftop Lounge. A five-year veteran of the University force, Wylie said that the last month before semester break is a time for "high crime." Students should "just be totally aware." Although Wylie said he realizes that most students do not think about it, the University is still a "diamond in a bed of mud." And even though "campus is one of the best lit areas in the city," it is still a high crime area. Wylie stressed that students should be prepared for attacks, and he instructed students on ways to protect themselves in a variety of encounters. He demonstrated defensive moves to specific offensive attacks including wrist and lapel grabs and chokes. He then had students practice the techniques with partners. "You may only have one opportunity . . . use your whole body," Wylie said. "With these techniques, don't think you're fighting. Consider this your only chance." As an alternative to physical defense, Wylie said "screaming is one of the best things in life." He led the students in a joint session of screaming and hand signaling, "No." " 'No' deep, as if you mean it, from the abdomen is a whole lot better than, 'Oh, shit.' " Wylie said. "You have to become hell's bitch." The 10 students at the seminar spent a lot of time practicing the defense tactics Wylie taught. One man at the seminar said that he had learned some self-defense while in the U.S. Air Force, but "not enough to survive in Philadelphia." High Rise North Residential Advisor and College junior Roeland Sie, who organized the demonstration, said he wanted to highten awareness of self-defense options. "For a lot of these people, this was very beneficial," he said. "People can teach their friends what they've learned. More than only the people who showed up can benefit." College sophomore Joy Park said that while she attended another Wylie self-defense class earlier this semester, she still found Tuesday night's presentation beneficial. "You can never learn enough about self-defense," she said.