University Police arrested a man late Monday night in the lower Quadrangle, after he apparently hopped the fence in the upper Quad and tried to steal a bicycle. The man, whose name was not released by police, was wearing a red t-shirt and blue jeans when College freshman Jerome Schneider saw him taking the wheel off a Peugeot bicycle. Schneider, who jogs around the Quad each night, said he saw the man near the north stairwell of McClelland Hall, and "sprinted to the front gate" to report the incident, which was then reported to University Police. The man was arrested outside of Birthday House on the Spruce Street side of lower Quad by officers Kim Wong and Tracy Thomas. According to Lieutenant Susan Holmes, front gate workers received many complaints of individuals trying to scale the fence adjacent to Hamilton Walk in the upper Quad earlier in the night. Holmes would not release any information about arraignment and bail. She said the case will be handled by the Juvenile Aid Division of Philadelphia Police, which works on all bicycle and bike-part thefts. According to Schneider, who was brought to the station house to file the report, it is possible that the man will be charged with burglary rather than a misdemeanor bike theft because he was stealing property in a secured area. University Police Detective Larry Singer said the incident was the seventh bicycle-related theft inside the Quad since the fall semester began. Singer mentioned that many of these bicycles are found later on, and that owners should "have their bikes registered, or at least know their serial numbers."