University and Philadelphia Police responded to a bomb scare in Hill House yesterday morning, only to find theatrical materials used to create smoke and noise on stage in a first-floor room, police said yesterday. A Philadelphia Police spokesperson said yesterday that the Philadelphia Bomb Squad removed two ounces of theatrical explosives from a suitcase after responding to a call of a "dangerous condition" at 10:10 a.m. At least a dozen emergency vehicles -- including two fire engines, a paramedics unit and a Philadelphia Police Bomb Squad van -- were called to the scene and blocked traffic on Walnut Street until noon. Christopher Dennis, director of educational programs in residences, said yesterday a graduate fellow had confiscated the explosives Monday night after they went off in a student's third floor room. Hill House officials contacted Residential Living Tuesday morning, but it was not until yesterday that the department decided to call in police. Engineering freshman Paul Yarin, the student from whose room the explosives were taken, said he was only experimenting with the chemicals and said the "bureaucracy" overreacted. "I was testing a theatrical pyrotechnic device, called a 'flashpot,' " Yarin said. Yarin said when he set the theatrical equipment off, his graduate fellow came and question him. He added he freely turned over the equipment and materials to the GF, and was surprised when he was pulled out of his computer science class yesterday by University and police officials. "I understand their concern and I feel that concern was justified," Yarin said. "But under the circumstances, they overreacted." The freshman said he is "not worried" about the fallout of this minor incident. A Philadelphia Police spokesperson said that Yarin was questioned but not arrested, and the investigation is continuing. Dennis said the case is being referred to the Hill House Judiciary Committee for investigation, and Residential Living will look to see if Yarin violated his rental agreement with the University.